The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Favorite food on the water

Yeah, as above, it depends on whether I'm floating or walking.

Floating: trail mix (in a ziplock) or peanut-butter crackers.
Walking: usually a sandwich for lunch; honey buns for breakfast

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:28 AM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Small bag of chex mix on the way to the river, half bottle of gatorade while gearing up, another handful of chex for the walk and a flask of whiskey for the wade. Works every time... except when i forget my boots.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

How did I miss this..............................

I use a jet boat often and so have a little more latitude than when I hike. Because of the boat I can carry a cooler and the lunches are a variety. Sandwiches are common but a nice snack would be, smoked salmon, some Jarlsberg cheese and Mixed Grain Wasa Bread with either a sip of wine or a Mirror Pond Pale Ale to finish.

I carry Mountain House meals and a stove for quick and easy hot meals and these fit into my day pack also when I fish on foot. River side cooking isn't fancy but I often enjoy a ground sirloin burger with cheese, a toasted bun, a big slab of sweet onion, and catsup; yeah baby, that hits the spot.

Sometimes we carry a container of either tuna mac or salmon mac salad made with chopped celery, onion, and shredded carrots; this goes good with anything.

There are no favorites and sometimes it's just a granola bar and coffee, but I brew the coffee fresh, even when I hike in
caseywise and rccola712 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2013, 03:12 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

bota bag my man....
Click the image to open in full size.
and some stinky cheese

casey

ARFE
Old 04-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Of course I have one of those Casey, at this point it looks like I'm the only guy here who goes all in when it comes to the supplies. I do sometimes travel light but some places I go it would be foolish to assume that you'll always get home that day. Things can happen and you're better off if you aren't hungry while you deal with whatever.
imxer and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I usually pick up a sub at Tim Horton's and I have a hydration bladder in my pack which I will fill with water or Gatorade. Sometimes I have to force myself to stop and eat when I am fishing alone.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the trip if I'm going half day wade/hike I will pack something like crackers and chips and pop tarts. If I'm going full day i will normally bring a few cans of soup or ravioli and my homemade alcohol stove. These work wonders specially when the weather is cold
Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
How did I miss this..............................

I use a jet boat often and so have a little more latitude than when I hike. Because of the boat I can carry a cooler and the lunches are a variety. Sandwiches are common but a nice snack would be, smoked salmon, some Jarlsberg cheese and Mixed Grain Wasa Bread with either a sip of wine or a Mirror Pond Pale Ale to finish.

I carry Mountain House meals and a stove for quick and easy hot meals and these fit into my day pack also when I fish on foot. River side cooking isn't fancy but I often enjoy a ground sirloin burger with cheese, a toasted bun, a big slab of sweet onion, and catsup; yeah baby, that hits the spot.

Sometimes we carry a container of either tuna mac or salmon mac salad made with chopped celery, onion, and shredded carrots; this goes good with anything.

There are no favorites and sometimes it's just a granola bar and coffee, but I brew the coffee fresh, even when I hike in
Ard, I need to fish with you! You've got a gourmet kitchen there compared to my crackers and water!

Hardyreels likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-14-2013, 02:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
Ard, I need to fish with you! You've got a gourmet kitchen there compared to my crackers and water!

Last two posts brought me well back into the day with Guided Steelhead fishing trips. Meet the Guide (up in Washington State) at 0600 for breakfast and talk about 'The Trip.' Where we would be going, the drop off car would be placed to get his rig back, how the fishing had been, etc., etc.

And the trip included a 'beach lunch.' Sometimes just 'make your own huge sandwich;' out comes a small Hibotchie (sp?) and charcoal for hamburger's. Beach some place and C-coal is heating up as we fished ... Burger's on and the smell, Dear God the smell. One way or the other "Good Eats!" And every one 'tipped' very, very well.

May not of hooked diddly, but you had a great day with a Fellow who put everything he had into the 'experience.' I think the point, other than everyone, him included, was hungry. You sit, you talk, you re-strati-vise, (bad pun intended).

'Changing the Game Plan.' All heads were forward as we sipped a good beer. Guide? ... a soda pop (legal stuff).

Save for over-nighter's has this gone the same route as the 'Do-Do Birds?'

Just an 'old Guys rant' here; but regardless of the cost to become a Guide, you have a trip. And the folks are going to spend $400'ish dollars for the day. And you expect a 'tip' at the end. Would $10.00 out of that, and repeat business-referrals, be worth same?

Had one day where it had rained, and rained, and rained and the river was blown out. Three of us beach his boat and we set up a over head tarp and built a fire. Guy actually had 'Presto Logs' in plastic bags in the bow of the boat.

We sat there for hours just 'shooting the shxt' and had a great time.

One of the best days 'fishing' I've ever had.

I may well have the name wrong: Steve Buckner?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

When I fish, I fish! I just break off a convenient Birch Twig and chaw away! Or maybe I'll take a bite of whatever dead critter I come across.....Oh wait that's the show about the subsistence people that are all overweight.

Seriously, I am not pushing 275 pounds from not eating! Little Debbie snack cakes are wonderful, and I have a real fondness for Raisinettes. I can survive from breakfast until supper with only a few (dozen) bags of raisinettes, snickers bars, beef jerkey, and peanuts. I don't like to drink much when wading as taking a leak in chest waders is an exercise in contortionism of which I am ill-suited for.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.