The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Favorite food on the water (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/316134-favorite-food-water.html)

turbineblade 04-09-2013 02:49 PM

Favorite food on the water

Hey - I assume many of you (like me) need to eat regularly on the water and end up being out there for long periods of time. Obviously certain foods are too much trouble to deal with when fishing, so I thought I'd ask which ones you tend to use a staples on the water.

So far mine are those little packages of mini powdered doughnuts. These are high calorie and seem to keep well ;).

itchmesir 04-09-2013 03:01 PM

Re: Favorite food on the water

I try to remember to bring granola or a granola bar... but probably 80% of the time I don't have food with me and just fish from sun up to sun down... I'm sure my body will regret it more as I age... Still working on the drinking enough water part...

fly_guy12955 04-09-2013 03:08 PM

A bottle of Diet Pepsi and a bottle of Gatorade. I'm a big believer in Gatorade. I think the 'stuff' it puts back makes me feel better and thus fish more focused.
Food ? I like the little powdered donuts too ! But,,a few packs of 'Nabs' (we call'em that here) and a piece of Cheese and I can fish till the cows come home.

The Pepsi is for hydration AND to keep the caffeine headaches at bay when I don't have my coffee available. If I'm fishing were I'll be back to a vehicle off and on, I'll have a thermos with me. The thing about southwest Virginia...not that many places you can get secluded for an entire day.

I wish to God there were.

mikel 04-09-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchmesir (Post 545392)
I try to remember to bring granola or a granola bar... but probably 80% of the time I don't have food with me and just fish from sun up to sun down... I'm sure my body will regret it more as I age... Still working on the drinking enough water part...

That's pretty much me. Odds are, if I remember to bring food, I'll forget to eat it. I'm pretty good about water, but forget from time to time.

...the saving grace is that 5 hrs is about as long as I go in a stretch...

chuck s 04-09-2013 03:28 PM

I like a snack such as a dried smoked sausage with some hard cheese as both handle a bit of heat well. Add to that a Fruit Crisp Bar or two and a cup of Tea or coffee earlier in the day and I'm good. My three favorites are LandJaeger, Holsteiner and Thuringer sausages from Smith's grocery store in Wilson Ks. These all keep well and are very tasty. If nothing else a pack or two of PB on cheese crackers and a tin of Vienna Sausages will do in as pinch finished with a vintage, Diet Pepsi.;)

williamhj 04-09-2013 03:33 PM

At most its a granola bar and/or trail mix. I don't like to stop fishing. Need to work on drinking more but bring plenty of water in the car for the drive home and try to remember to bring one in my waders, especially in the summer when the sun plus dry weather here can lead to some awful headaches.

peterjay 04-09-2013 03:59 PM

Bottle of water and a can or two of Ensure. Eating is one of those activities that attract fish by the thousands, just like changing flies or visiting the rest room. Not worth the risk.

silver creek 04-09-2013 04:12 PM

I bring a wrap sandwich - roast beef or ham with swiss cheese, lettuce, horse radish sauce and mayo.

For a drink, I take my Steripen, a Nalgene bottle and some Mio "water enhancer"

fredaevans 04-09-2013 04:17 PM

Water or 'Arizona Ice Tea' for liquid and a subway sandwich for lunch. My neighborhood SW opens at 0500. Off earlier (not likely!!) 7-11 for a couple of Snicker's bars (those are the sun over the food pyramid):wiggle:.

jaybo41 04-09-2013 04:19 PM

I need my coffee in the morning but also take water or gatoraid with me. Add a couple granola bars and some beef jerky and I'm good to go.