The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tieing fly line loop to new leader

Hi,

If your fly line has a welded vinyl loop on the end mono will eventually cut the loop. The link below shows a step by step photo set of how I solved this problem. If you loop is a braided type then a perfection loop on the leader is good.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

2nd Ditz. I use the double surgeons loop as well for the same reasons. Never had a problem for 30+ years using it.

Craig
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

If your fly line has a welded vinyl loop on the end mono will eventually cut the loop. The link below shows a step by step photo set of how I solved this problem. If you loop is a braided type then a perfection loop on the leader is good.

Ard
I always enjoy looking at that SBS, Ard. Great little connector.

But the welded loops on my fly lines have last quite awhile. Like a few years. I find the line cracks above the loop before the loop actually gets cut into, probably because the diameter of the leader butt is so heavy, there actually isn't much "cutting" into the line. And when it does, if the line is still good at that point, I'll just whip and weld a new loop on the end with thread and glue and see if it will last another couple years!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

I'm a little harder on the loops perhaps because my flies are large and often the fish that grab them can be pretty heavy. Add that to the swift currents in many of my haunts and I had a problem with my very first welded loop line. Rather than cut the loop and nail knot I concocted the connector.
dean_mt likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I use the Perfection Loop as the tag end exits at right angles to the mainline. The Doubled Surgeons exits in the wrong direction and can snag your rod tip in the end fight. The Lefties Loop exits in the right direction but might hang when trying to wind a fish in if you are using a long leader. Besides I can tie and ultra small Perfection in the dark if need be.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-10-2013, 04:58 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Ard
I agree with Ard in that I would get rid of that welded loop. But instead of a braided connector, I tie a nail-less nail knot to join the butt end of the leader to the end of the fly line. Then coat the knot with Pliobond so you get a smooth connection and the Pliobond seals the end of the fly line.

http://www.garyborger.com/equipment/nailless-nail-knot/

Click the image to open in full size.

When you need to put on another leader, cut the butt section of the leader back so that about 8 inches remains attached to the fly line. Then tie a perfection loop to cut end of the butt section. Then you can use that loop to do a loop to loop to the butt section of the new leader.

Click the image to open in full size.
kglissmeyer1 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yeah, the perfection loop is the ideal knot for that situation.....
practice, practice

ARFE
Old 04-10-2013, 06:42 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
...another "OLD GUY"...yeah they work !!!

PT/TB
They work. They are simple and easy. They don't hang up on stuff, and they will pass through the tiptop and snake guides. Very useful if you are using a +12' leader on a 7 1/2' rod. They actually pass trough the guides better than blood knots.

Every easy to change out leaders. Very good for the line to backing connection too. For the life of me, I have no idea why anyone uses anything else.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:50 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Perfection Loop... There's a cool little app out there called Knots 3D for your Android and iPhone real handy little app to have for learning knots... or refreshing the mind when you haven't tied a certain knot in awhile
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Okay, nobody else said it, so I will.

The "best" for me, is to cut off that awful fat factory-made loop on the end of the new Fly Line and attach the tapered leader with a Nail Knot.

It's my choice, and one of the things I enjoy about setting up a Fly Rod is doing---it---myself. I just don't like it when they
Do---It----All---For---Me at the factory. I enjoy knowing the knots, in much the way a sailor is proud of his knowledge of many rope knots.

I hate factory loops. If I cannot find a Guillotine, I will hack the factory loop off with a Machete, or even a Gerber Knife.
If a knife is not within reach, I will erect a large bonfire and melt that loop down. [Just so you know how I feel about the Factory Made Loop, not that it matters at all.]

shimloom likes this.