The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tieing fly line loop to new leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
They work. They are simple and easy. They don't hang up on stuff, and they will pass through the tiptop and snake guides. Very useful if you are using a +12' leader on a 7 1/2' rod. They actually pass trough the guides better than blood knots.

Every easy to change out leaders. Very good for the line to backing connection too. For the life of me, I have no idea why anyone uses anything else.
BECAUSE...no one else in this tread has EVER tried them...perhaps ???

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Okay, nobody else said it, so I will.
The "best" for me, is to cut off that awful fat factory-made loop on the end of the new Fly Line and attach the tapered leader with a Nail Knot.
... I hate factory loops. If I cannot find a Guillotine, I will hack the factory loop off with a Machete, or even a Gerber Knife.
If a knife is not within reach, I will erect a large bonfire and melt that loop down. [Just so you know how I feel about the Factory Made Loop, not that it matters at all.]
The only plus I've heard about factory loops is from high-stick-nymphing folks who don't use a strike indicator.
That red loop shows up well as a non-indicator indicator!
brucerducer likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
The only plus I've heard about factory loops is from high-stick-nymphing folks who don't use a strike indicator.
That red loop shows up well as a non-indicator indicator!
As I said earlier, I have not had any issues with the factory loop that is on the last line I bought. To be honest, I don't even remember what brand line it is, only that it was a top quality line.

It is a 4wt line and the thickness of the nylon leader butt that I loop to it is such that it does not cut into the line loop. The welded loops on new, high quality lines are good. I don't see the reason to change it until it begins to fail. It in not like a knot that when it fails it is gone, you will notice when the line coating is beginning to crack and it is time to do something different.

On the contrary, I have had lines crack faster at the place that a needle knot, or nail knot is cinched down on the tip of the line.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Thanks for pointing out Pliobond, Silver. I'd hate to see it disappear from the market.

It still is flammable, still has MEK in it, (known in Calif. to cause brain warts in aardvarks), and still works really well. The only thing I think is different, assuming my memory is correct, is that it is now a tan color. Seems like it used to be deep burgandy or purple or something.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Driving me nuts: isn't "tying" correct?

Sorry, no offense, but it keeps popping up and asking me...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

double surgeon is stronger than a perfection knot, triple is even better and is one to use on larger rods 6wt. and up. perfection is fine on lighter outfits.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Thanks Sandfly,....that is good to know. Shows you what I know and don't know. .....It just never concerned me because the tippet was the weakest link anyway. I do like the double surgeon though. For me it is easier to tie
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The double/triple surgeon knot is stronger than the perfection knot.

However, as Ditz has said, the perfection knot is placed in the butt of the leader so it will not break before the tippet to leader or tippet to fly knot will break. The weakest knot in the system is the knot in the tippet, either tippet to fly or tippet to leader.

The reason a perfection knot is better than a surgeon's knot is because the knot is a smaller than the double/triple surgeon and the flush tag end will not catch on the tip top guide of the fly rod when the leader is taken into the rod.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-13-2013, 10:47 AM

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

As a neophyte (it's an April hatch) this video helps a lot, but I like the grandpa knot connector... I have one on the line to the rod and reel my grandpa gave me... ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I agree with Ard in that I would get rid of that welded loop. But instead of a braided connector, I tie a nail-less nail knot to join the butt end of the leader to the end of the fly line. Then coat the knot with Pliobond so you get a smooth connection and the Pliobond seals the end of the fly line.

Gary Borger Nailless Nail Knot

borger knot - YouTube

Click the image to open in full size.

When you need to put on another leader, cut the butt section of the leader back so that about 8 inches remains attached to the fly line. Then tie a perfection loop to cut end of the butt section. Then you can use that loop to do a loop to loop to the butt section of the new leader.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

The Perfection Loop is more than you will need. When tied properly that loop will hold. There are so many things that will give way to a big fish before the Loop will break. A 30 or 40 lb Butt section with the perfection loop is a lot stronger than a 15 or 20 lb test leader at the fly.

Those little plastic leader links are a guaranteed lost big fish. A simple test is just try one and and give it a good jolt. The knot on the leader will just stretch the plastic and the leader will slide right through the end.

The beauty of the perfection loop is the small knot. The Surgeons knot for a loop is great but adds bulk where it is not needed. Two turns are more than adequate.

Looks can be deceiving, many people will use the clinch knot to tie on a fly and think the more turns they use the better and that extra turns will make the knot stronger. Then we have the Davy knot which many people never use or heard of and yet it is much simpler and so much smaller and most important, stronger. If your a Trout fisher a great knot for midge flies.