The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tieing fly line loop to new leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
Thanks Sandfly,....that is good to know. Shows you what I know and don't know. .....It just never concerned me because the tippet was the weakest link anyway. I do like the double surgeon though. For me it is easier to tie

I like the Double Surgeon too, for making leaders and attaching Tippets.

Not that it matters at all. Everyboy should do as they like.
Variety is okay.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishdick View Post
The Perfection Loop is more than you will need. When tied properly that loop will hold. There are so many things that will give way to a big fish before the Loop will break. A 30 or 40 lb Butt section with the perfection loop is a lot stronger than a 15 or 20 lb test leader at the fly.

Those little plastic leader links are a guaranteed lost big fish. A simple test is just try one and and give it a good jolt. The knot on the leader will just stretch the plastic and the leader will slide right through the end.

The beauty of the perfection loop is the small knot. The Surgeons knot for a loop is great but adds bulk where it is not needed. Two turns are more than adequate.

Looks can be deceiving, many people will use the clinch knot to tie on a fly and think the more turns they use the better and that extra turns will make the knot stronger. Then we have the Davy knot which many people never use or heard of and yet it is much simpler and so much smaller and most important, stronger. If your a Trout fisher a great knot for midge flies.

In my experience, I have used the 3-6 Eagle Claw leader links for both level and tapered lines. NEVER had a lost fish (and I have taken Browns up to 11lbs. on the East Walker River using them). Never had one break, never had the line or leader pop out...Here, according to this NZ guide, are some advantages to using leader links:

Line to Leader Connections

Whatever floats thy boat...I neglected to attach the leader to a tree and my line to my Warn Winch to test the link's strength...Oh SNAP...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
In my experience, I have used the 3-6 Eagle Claw leader links for both level and tapered lines. NEVER had a lost fish (and I have taken Browns up to 11lbs. on the East Walker River using them). Never had one break, never had the line or leader pop out...Here, according to this NZ guide, are some advantages to using leader links:

Line to Leader Connections

Whatever floats thy boat...I neglected to attach the leader to a tree and my line to my Warn Winch to test the link's strength...Oh SNAP...

PT/TB
That's been my experience too. The leader links held without issue even when I have popped 0X tippets.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

Three Cheers for the Leader Link ! Just curious, any thoughts on the Davy Knot.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Like Ard For Lake Fishing I use A 3ft length of Braided Leader Looped Both Ends with my Tipit joined via a Perfection Loop.
For River Fishing I mainly use a 5ft Furled Leader also with The Tipit Attached via A Perfection Loop or A Tapered Leader Nail Knotted to The Line if there is no Loop on the End of The Fly Line.
Both of the first two methods as Ard mentioned prevents The Line from severing The Loop.
Brian.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Double Surge. for me. Simple and effective.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishdick View Post
Three Cheers for the Leader Link ! Just curious, any thoughts on the Davy Knot.

I believe THAT was covered HERE:

The Davy Knot

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

Pt, that is a nice link for the people who are not familiar with the Davy Knot to look at and maybe give it a try. Sometimes you can teach and old dog a new trick (Not referring to you), but , you done good posting the link.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use this on all my 6wt. and under rods--- (http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/pond.asp?page=4)
for larger rods I put a nail knot behind it.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..