The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
deathwish

Default Tieing fly line loop to new leader

What is best knot to use to attach a new tapered leader that has no loop to new flyine with loop on end?pics or video?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Re: Tieing fly line loop to new leader

Tie a perfection loop in butt section of leader and then loop to loop google knots to learn how to tie perfection loop
Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

I've been using these most of my life.

Click the image to open in full size.

Eagle Claw LL1 & LL2 Leader links. They are quick, simple and secure. Have always been surprised by how little force a hinge points which induces cracking.

When you tie the knot for the fly ine, seal the end with something. When feeding the leader threw, feed the tippet through the center and then pull the whole leader through to the butt; tie the knot, trim and pull tight.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Perfection (Angler's) Loop | How to tie the Perfection Loop | Fishing Knots
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

+3 for the Perfection Loop. It's the standard knot for leader butt loops. It looks confusing, but it really is an easy knot once you get the steps, it tightens down easily.

The non-slip mono is an option as well, but is usually used as a terminal knot. It's a good one. Non-Slip Mono Knot | How to tie a Non-Slip Mono Knot | Fishing Knots
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM

kuch is on a distinguished road

The perfection loop as other have suggested is the best loop for this situation.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Perfection loop would be the best knot. Only other recommendation is practice making the loop small. The smaller the loop the better in my mind.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I personally use a double surgeons loop on the leader and then loop to loop. It is E Z to tie and ends up straight to the leader. It is not as strong as the perfection but in any case the tippet will break long before the this knot fails.
shimloom likes this.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
I've been using these most of my life.

Eagle Claw LL1 & LL2 Leader links. They are quick, simple and secure. Have always been surprised by how little force a hinge points which induces cracking.

When you tie the knot for the fly ine, seal the end with something. When feeding the leader threw, feed the tippet through the center and then pull the whole leader through to the butt; tie the knot, trim and pull tight.

...another "OLD GUY"...yeah they work !!!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I'd also suggest a perfection loop. I've literally tied at least a couple thousand of these loops over the years, and have never had one fail. Very simple and fast knot to tie once you figure it out. If you play around with it a bit, you'll also find it's very easy to adjust the loop size to suit your preference. If you do happen to mis-tie this knot, it will be immediately obvious once you go to tighten it.

To be honest, I also tie a loop on the tippet end of my leader and use a loop to loop connection to attach my tippet. Granted, I do tend to fish a long tippet, 2.5 - 3' so the loop to loop doesn't in any way interfere. A leader pretty much lasts almost forever.
ditz and runningfish like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo