The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sea Eagle Frameless Pontoon

Anyone have any experience with this?

They seem pretty impressive from the website. Full bottom so you can stand up and fish, as well as row forward or backward. Pretty cheap for their features as well. Thoughts on how these might compare to competitor pontoon boats?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sea Eagle Frameless Pontoon

They look amazing... No denying that... Quite the package for only $850 imho
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

They look fine for still water but may be like tubbing if you go down a river. The shorter the raft the more inclined they are to twist and turn. All that will mean you must be on the oars constantly. Still water is a different story.

Ard
brucerducer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I own one and use it primarily for still water, but I think it handles pretty well on moving water. I really have nothing to compare it to, as its the only watercraft I have ever owned, but I love it. They are very strong material and very stable on the water. The one thing I had a hassle with was finding an anchor system for it. I ended up getting this:
Amazon.com: Scotty Anchor Lock with 241 Side Deck Mount: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Scotty Anchor Lock with 241 Side Deck Mount: Sports & Outdoors
I added a couple of d rings and ran the straps through them.
The boat is a breeze to set up. 10 minutes tops. I bought the additional seat and side bags. Personally, for the money, I think it is a fantastic, very high quality deal that is overlooked by people used to traditional toons. I sometimes throw my little yeti in front if I want a casting platform for sight fishing.

PS, I will say that I would not use it on water with rapids. It has a closed hull, so if water were to get in, there is nowhere for it to go unless you dump it out. That being said, if you are fishing a slower moving river without rapids, there is no worry because the thing rides pretty high. As far as still water, there is no contest. This thing blows away a regular pontoon because you can actually stand up on the platform. (Get the swivel seat and standing platform, don't skimp).
Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
They look fine for still water but may be like tubbing if you go down a river. The shorter the raft the more inclined they are to twist and turn. All that will mean you must be on the oars constantly. Still water is a different story.

Ard
An excellent point. Worthy of remembering for anyone thinking of getting a Kayak.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Good point. I'd just be using it for stillwater if I do end up purchasing it so shouldnt be a problem.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Nick, I have 2 Sea Eagle 8 foot rafts that I got for the family to use to float day trips on the river. Just for fun and swimming and a good time. I believe the material for the Frameless Pontoon is the same as my rafts. I was surprised at the thickness of the material. It was much better than I was expecting when I ordered them. Not as thick as my kick-boat, but they have had no issues going down the river and scraping rocks and such. For still water, it should hold up rather well I suspect. Oh and they are Bladder-less, which I consider a plus.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 PM

amertens is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you guys are liking them. My old tube blew a seem and I was considering every possible replacement from kayaks to pontoons to float tubes. This seems like the answer to me. I have been researching like crazy but the lack of reviews on them had me worried about quality. Hearing you folks actually running them and liking them will make it next on my list. Anyone run the trolling motor on there's? I like to troll on the real windy days. How's the motor mount? Sturdy and worth going that route?