The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM

fishinfrenzy is on a distinguished road
Default Dacron backing...

I apologize for how stupid this question is but I am very new to fly fishing. I was spooling up a new reel with Dacron backing and it seems to be "sticky" in a way. Also, when I took off the backing from another reel it seemed to leave a sticky residue on the spool. What is the point of this stickiness? Is it meant to serve an actual function or is it just how dacron is? I have used many braided lines for bass fishing that are not sticky at all. Why aren't these types of lines used for fly fishing? Is it mainly because Dacron is just so much cheaper?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dacron backing...

not sure what kind of line u got... but i have never had any sticky dacron.....
Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Never dealt with sticky dacron either.

MP
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I concur with my fellow members, no sticky backing. If it helps I have always used Cortland backing. 20 lb on trout reels and 36 lb salt water Micon on the salmon reels. Good luck sorting this one out. Don't worry about sounding new to this we were all new once.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I concur with my fellow members, no sticky backing. If it helps I have always used Cortland backing. 20 lb on trout reels and 36 lb salt water Micon on the salmon reels. Good luck sorting this one out. Don't worry about sounding new to this we were all new once.

Ard
it might be not too hard to sort that out
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fishinfrenzy,

Never worry about a question being stupid or too basic. If you have the question there is a good chance that many other readers have the same question or would like to know the same information.

As to the residue left on the spool. That is probably caused by things in the water that over time has soaked into the backing. If you are putting on new Dacron backing it should not be sticky. The stickiness could be caused by a coating on the backing. Get some Cortland Micron backing and your problems should be solved.

You can use a braided super line like Power Pro for backing. Fifty pound is a good choice for Trout reels. You don't want to use too light of weight of braid as the diameter is too small. The Yellow Power Pro is a good color for backing. It is also available in white, red and green.

Frank
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Hrm... Thanks for all of the replies weighing in on the subject. I can't remember the exact name of the backing but it was some cheap stuff from Bass Pro Shops. I will probably just use some leftover line from bass fishing in the future.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Dacron backing...

no sticky backing for me to. Stick with cortland backing, never had a problem with it.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

It sounds to me that it is probably waxed gel spun, not dacron. I have waxed gelspun backing on my gulfstream reel because I can fit a lot more on it than dacron backing.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Well, I am 100% certain it was not gel spun. It was definitely regular Dacron backing. Perhaps sticky was not the correct word to describe it but it does seem to have some sort of tackiness or residue on it compared to other braided freshwater bass fishing lines such as Suffix braid, PowerPro, and Spiderwire.