The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jimp
  • 1 Post By brucerducer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 AM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold
Default NuCanoe Frontier ?

I'm in the market for a new Canoe, Kayak, I've ruled out pontoons because of transportation issues. This weekend they had a 12' Nucanoe Frontier at our local sportsman show, it really peaked my curiosity. The bottom was real wide and flat, supposedly the most stable kayak on the water. At 77lbs. it just seems like it would be a beast to paddle. I would be using it for mostly pond fishing and an occasional slow river trip. The salesman told me that they paddle and track great, he invited me down(three hours south of here) for a test drive. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with them, they do have some great u tube videos, I really can't find a bad review.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NuCanoe Frontier ?

I sell them online and they are great. 77 lb. is easy to use. track very well and are incredibly stable.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I'd love to have a Frontier 12.

Sandfly, what's the best price you could put me in one of these ? PM' me if ya wish.

NuCanoe - Hybrid kayaks for fishing, hunting, paddling, and more!

Last edited by fly_guy12955; 04-11-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: add information
Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

suggest you go for the test paddle if all possible, while that one may track well and paddles well, it may not be what it seems when you get it on the water. I have no experience with the Nucanoe, but have two yaks hanging out in the garage, both Wilderness Systems. I have a Ride 115 that paddles fairly easy, not as easy as the WS pungo, but the Ride is a SOT while the Pungo is a SIT. There is not much difference between the two in the paddling dept, but a difference. The Ride is much more stable than the Pungo, have seen videos of people standing in the Ride models and appear very stable. I have not worked up the courage to stand in mine yet. I don't work for WS either or sell 'em, just own 'em.
ted4887 likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't agree with jimp more. If it's possible, you definitely want to test paddle one if possible. Seeing it on a showroom floor or website is one thing. Being on the water with it is a completely different feeling. While one kayak might be ideal for lakes or ponds, another kayak might be just what you need for a river. Stability, tracking, speed, and maneuverability all vary from one model to another. It's just a matter of finding the boat that you're the most comfortable in and meets the requirements you have set out for a new kayak.

I do know some people that own NuCanoes and have been very happy with them though. While I've yet to paddle one for myself, they do seem like they're a stable platform. I do worry about the maneuverability and speed though. But, as with any kayak, there isn't one that is perfect in all of the major categories.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I've paddled the NuCanoe several times. Fairly fast, fairly maneuverable and you don't set so low you can't see structure or water seams. That alone,,,will catch you more fish. The more I fool with the boats the more I think fly fishing is not to be done sitting down low. The NuCanoes are not hard to stand in...I've done it without the rest. But even on the seat, you are higher than a kayak. I like my kayak, but it's not the fishing platform a NuCanoe is.
I like the 'pond crawler' type boats better than either, really. I have the Pelican Bass Bass Raider 10E, with a small 4 by 8 trailer that hooks nicely behind the family car. You have good seat height, and they cost less than top of the line Kayaks even. But as the gent said,,there may be NO perfect boat..thus so many models and types exist. I'd like to have a Frontier 12 for when I felt the need to travel down the falls sections of the New River. But, it's a want and not a necessity since I have the 10E.

Google Image Result for http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1016/boat3x.jpg
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

For me, one of the problems for me, is when they show those videos of the kayaks on glassy, flat water.

What I would want to see, is what happens when you get a day of 15 to 25 mph winds on Colorado Reservoir, and see how those hold up.

There are days on Colorado Reservoirs, when...if all you got is an Electric Motor, your best option is to beach your boat on the nearsest shore and hope the wind subsides.

fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

What makes a 12 footer weigh so much? My 17 foot tripper canoe weighs 80 pounds and it's heavy, Tripper Family | Old Town.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Well, with a kayak, and the pontoon plastic boats,,you have twice the hull material (appx/sorta) of a canoe,,as they have an outer hull and inner body all in a wrap. The air space between the layers I suppose is what makes them so stable.

That might the big draw back is portability. None of them are designed to 'carry' ,,but to unload in or at the water.

How wind affects them,,,that would vary with individual design.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

http://www.nucanoe.com/wp-content/fi...ice%20List.pdf

You can buy a LOT of canoe for those prices. Though I will admit, I never stand up in my Coleman.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey