The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Which camera?

I very much appreciate all the very detailed replies. Wish I could understand most of it.

Will break it down a little bit.

I am a techno-idjit. I understand MP's, aspect ratio and the like - why I want dense images. (Think maybe a dozen images or so @ 1024 px X 768 px @ 720 dpi)

I need a PHD (press here dummy) camera with pretty much auto everything with maybe a click-the-switch options.

Will be doing mostly close-up of bugs and fish with some landscapes.

Am looking for something 1 step above disposable. Hate to admit it, but I just don't have time to learn all the photography stuff.

Size is one of the bigger things: say 3" x 5" x 1" that I can wear on a lanyard and drop inside my shirt when not in use.

Will greatly appreciate any guidance (as pick, one of these options).

(This coming form someone who refuses to learn how to use a smart phone.)
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I am using the Pansonic TS3, i'm very happy with the camera. It has served me well, i charge the batteries on it maybe twice a summer and thats with about average usage. I bought it because I have nightmares of my very expensive DSLR falling into the water.

Based on your most recent post, serious look at the Pansonic, its a very simple usage camera.
Hardyreels likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishcatcher View Post
My camera took a dunk in the river a few weeks ago I'll have to start looking for another one.
Have you done the dry rice in a vacuum bag thing and some Stabilant 22A on the board/connections afterward?

(Have seen 22A straiten out modern ECU's that were submerged for hours in salt water.)
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

I've owned several underwater cameras, dating back to the Nikonos ones of the 1970s. The Canon PowerShot D10 is what I currently use; it's great. Excellent image quality, hardy, and good down to ~40'. Only complaint is that it's larger than some cameras. Fits into my pocket, but thicker than a cell phone.

BTW, I took a group of students to Belize last summer. At least 15 had cameras and took them underwater while snorkeling. None of the D10s had problems. ALL 5 of the OLYMPUS cameras flooded. I don't know the models of the OLYMPUS, but they were fine above water, not below (and yes, they were supposed to be underwater cameras - LOL). Hope this helps!

Click the image to open in full size.

edit: OMG, I said Canon cameras flooded; it was ALL OF THE OLYMPUS cameras (as edited above). Sorry for confusion!
Hardyreels likes this.

Last edited by chechem; 04-15-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Okay I'll chime in. Here is my experience:

I was using the iPhone for a while but it's battery kept dying when I was fishing in 20 degree weather.

Had a OLYMPUS TOUGH 8000 (gave it to a nephew) because it took tooooo long to start up, it had a SLOW lens...meaning it needed ALOT of light to take a decent picture or the flash would fire—flash photos suck and it's battery life was poor.

Enter the new OLYMPUS TG-2..why is it great? Here goes:

• FREEZEPROOF...battery stands up to cold weather

• FREEZEPROOF...so there is no fogging up of lenses and cases...not so with the iPhone in a water proof case.

• FAST startup time from SLEEP and OFF to shooting in about 2 seconds.

• FAST lens (f2.0) faster than the F3.8 (W) - F4.7 (T) of the Pentax cameras mentioned. Meaning if you want to take a photo in a shadowy canyon, under shade or cover of trees or even on a cloudy day (sorry but some of the best fishing is not on blue bird days)...then you need a camera that takes a photo in LOW light without needing to fire a flash.

• SUPER MACRO setting...okay this it probably a glorified zoom and some shallow depth of field action, but it looks like a macro shot.

• Shoots full 1080 HD video.

• GPS tagging..not that you'd want to give coordinates to your honey hole but you can if you wanted to.

• It ACCEPTS an optional FISHEYE lens so everything is sharp if you want to use it like a GOPRO camera.

I just stay in aperture mode and then jump to Super Macro.

The camera costs about $380, but it's worth it. Now the phone stays in the vest and the 7D sits at home.

I'll share some shots and video in a post here soon.
Hardyreels and Meatco1 like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Because I use a Nikon D-80 with a power pack it always was too large and heavy to carry. Therefore many a fish has been released unmolested by a photo shoot.

I decided last year that I wanted a small camera for pocket carry and found a Cannon Power Shot SD-1200 with a 7X zoom and a 10 MP sensor used on eBay for 50 dollars. It takes great pictures and is smaller than a cigarette pack. It also has a viewfinder so it works good when you are in a real sunny environment. Cameras that have only the screen display on the back to use for photo composition eat batteries and are difficult to see in bright sunlight............. Just Say'en

$50 and if I drop it in the river I won't have to cry all the way home
random user likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have a samsung HMX W300 HD camera/video camera that i really like.
for one, it is very compact while being shockproof/waterproof all at the same time, i have a lanyard that i wear for it.
i also really like the tripod screw insert as well, cool for filming under water.
great camera

casey
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.

ARFE
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 PM

jporter is on a distinguished road

Polaroid iF045 Digital Camera
Your basic waterproof point and shoot camera about $70.00. Set it to photo you get photos set to video you get videos. Now you can also get a case for your cell maybe. If you have an Apple look at the LifeProof cases, if not Apple Google your phone waterproof case.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
... I decided last year that I wanted a small camera for pocket carry and found a Cannon Power Shot SD-1200 with a 7X zoom and a 10 MP sensor used on eBay for 50 dollars. It takes great pictures and is smaller than a cigarette pack. It also has a viewfinder so it works good when you are in a real sunny environment. Cameras that have only the screen display on the back to use for photo composition eat batteries and are difficult to see in bright sunlight............. Just Say'en

$50 and if I drop it in the river I won't have to cry all the way home
Give the man a Kewpie doll!

I'm not out to photograph so much as to record some stuff.

Thanks much.

Also I do very much appreciate all the detail replies.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Love our Nikon AW-100.