The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which camera?

It's nice to see all of these options for "all weather" cameras;The competition keeps the quality up and the price down-ish.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:40 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw76 View Post
It's nice to see all of these options for "all weather" cameras;The competition keeps the quality up and the price down-ish.
Sooooo many camera options.
Bottom line: If you catch a worthy fish, you have no excuse - bring us a pic.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted a cheap waterproof camera as well. I just did a quick google search and found a knock off Asian company making one. I'm out of town right now, otherwise I'd tell you the make. It cost right at $40 and has done great for two years!

The photos obviously are no where near the quality of the ones above my post, but they get the idea across!

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-12-2013, 02:58 PM

len s is on a distinguished road

I have the Panasonic Ts4, I was lucky and my medic partner gave it too me for my 50th b-day. I started a thread here about my first trip with my son for trout, all the pics are with the Ts4, it is a little more expensive, but if you drop it in the water you do not lose the pics that may be irreplaceable. I bought a foam lanyard for when I am in water over knee deep and it will float the camera. Remember you may be the one who gets that one provable shot of Bigfoot, the chupacabre (*sp), a UFO, or maybe even a politician with his hand in his own pocket. You would not want to lose that if you dropped it into the drink.

Len S
shotgunfly likes this.

Last edited by len s; 04-12-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fat finger syndrome aka spelling errors
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM

Meatco1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Okay I'll chime in. Here is my experience:

I was using the iPhone for a while but it's battery kept dying when I was fishing in 20 degree weather.

Had a OLYMPUS TOUGH 8000 (gave it to a nephew) because it took tooooo long to start up, it had a SLOW lens...meaning it needed ALOT of light to take a decent picture or the flash would fire—flash photos suck and it's battery life was poor.

Enter the new OLYMPUS TG-2..why is it great? Here goes:

• FREEZEPROOF...battery stands up to cold weather

• FREEZEPROOF...so there is no fogging up of lenses and cases...not so with the iPhone in a water proof case.

• FAST startup time from SLEEP and OFF to shooting in about 2 seconds.

• FAST lens (f2.0) faster than the F3.8 (W) - F4.7 (T) of the Pentax cameras mentioned. Meaning if you want to take a photo in a shadowy canyon, under shade or cover of trees or even on a cloudy day (sorry but some of the best fishing is not on blue bird days)...then you need a camera that takes a photo in LOW light without needing to fire a flash.

• SUPER MACRO setting...okay this it probably a glorified zoom and some shallow depth of field action, but it looks like a macro shot.

• Shoots full 1080 HD video.

• GPS tagging..not that you'd want to give coordinates to your honey hole but you can if you wanted to.

• It ACCEPTS an optional FISHEYE lens so everything is sharp if you want to use it like a GOPRO camera.

I just stay in aperture mode and then jump to Super Macro.

The camera costs about $380, but it's worth it. Now the phone stays in the vest and the 7D sits at home.

I'll share some shots and video in a post here soon.
After reading through this thread, then doing my due-diligence searches on the reviews of waterproof pocket cameras, I found the "Olympus Stylus TG-2 Ihs" to be best suited for my purposes.

My ranch is located here in the mts of Colorado, and it's not unusual for me to take a couple of hard spills side hilling some of these trails when Elk hunting. Then there's the Kayak fishing, in the lakes & rivers here about, and there are always a few mishaps around water (at least for me!).

In any case, after reading through the camera reviews, I found this Olympus to be by far, the camera most able to withstand the abuse I lay on cameras, not to mention the exceptionally good reviews this camera received on the photos & videos taken.

So, for me the choice was relatively easy.

Respects,

Richard
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Click the image to open in full size.
Took this today with the Canon D10 mentioned above.
Disclaimer: it's very hard to take u/w pics of live fish by yourself!!!!

... with apologies to those with 3 hands.

BTW, the split shot slipped down (from its 8" forward Carolina rig).

Last edited by chechem; 10-10-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all the detailed advice.

Went with mostly disposable and an ebay Canon Powershot ELPH 100HS 12.1 Megapixel 4X Optical Zoom Camera Gray with all the plugs, cables and cd's.

Don't think I messed up too badly for $45. -- Warning read 'Country of Origin" BEFORE placing bid.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:33 PM

learning2fly will become famous soon enoughlearning2fly will become famous soon enough

I always use my samsung galaxy S3 cell phone. I have a few waterproof skins for when I need them. It takes great underwater photos and video. I need some sort of tether to my waders if I do happen to drop it without a skin on. 8 mp camera takes great photos too. There are some nice pics in this thread
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

DAMN is this thing small! I mean small enough to loose in a vest, like a 3/4 the size of a pack of coffin nails.