The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 02:42 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Which camera?

I'm a techno-idjit. Looking for an inexpensive digital camera to carry in my vest.

Want some I can drop in the water and comfortably say " Oh well."
Don't really care about how many images it can store, but I do want the images to be fairly large and very dense. Some kind of zoom would be good, I guess.

So, what camera am I looking for?

Thanks much.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which camera?

Here are some reviews on the 2012 Waterproof models...I have the Pentax Optio WG-1, from two years ago...it's a personal decision...

Best LifeProof Cameras - 2012 Edition

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Check out the AW110 it is awesome and waterproof. This is what I use for fishing and around water. It has a ton of features and capabilities! I am also a pro photographer and this is my go to camera when I am out on the water the quality of the images is awesome and you can put it in the water when releasing fish and do a movie or take a photo I love it personally

http://www.nikon.com/news/2013/0129_cpx_02.htm

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Nik...aw110/overview
Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have an Olympus stylis tough 6000 that I never use and would sell for $125.00 has a case and a spare battery and the computer cord. I have never dropped it in the water but it is water proof I believe. Since I got an Iphone I quit carrying the camera. It takes great pics
Archived Products &gt STYLUS TOUGH-6000 the one I have is gold in color. It is 2 years old and used very little
Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I have a Nikon AW100 (the one before the AW110).

As long as you don't use the GPS very much, it has very good battery life. Picture quality is not DSLR-like, but it has a usable zoom range, and reasonable low-light capability.

It does not have a viewfinder. You must compose your photos on the rear LCD.

You can get the AW100, refurbished by Nikon, for around $180.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Panasonic Lumix DSC-TS2 and I gave both my Olympus Tough and Pentax Optio Cameras to my kids. The TS series is far superior because of the German Leica lens.

Fly photo with the Lumix-TS2. You can see the air bubbles in the cured UV acryic in the fly below.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is an underwater photo that my son took of his dog retrieving a ball thrown into his swimming pool. You can see the distorted reflection of my son with swimming goggles in the surface mirror. The detail in the original photo is crisp and even the small bubbles are clearly seen. Note the crisp printing on the front side of the ball, even with the resolution lowered for computer viewing.

2013 Winner Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4

Waterproof Camera Review 2013 | Best Waterproof Digital Cameras | Compare Underwater Cameras - TopTenREVIEWS

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 2013 - TopTenREVIEWS

2011 Review Winner Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3

Group test: Waterproof Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review

2009 Review Winner PPanasonic Lumix DMC-TS1

'Waterproof' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009): Digital Photography Review

Prices:

http://www.gosale.com/5795686/panaso...-dmc-ts4-tough

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 04-11-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM

weatherwar is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what your price range is so I don't really think I can specifically suggest any cameras for you, but I'll just give you a general guideline for what you should look for.

You won't be looking for any cameras with changeable lenses, what you'll be looking for are cameras with "optical zoom." The power of these zooms is based on the size of the lens on the front, so 5x optical zoom isn't the same for every camera. That begin said, I would say look for cameras with optical zooms of 5x or higher (most now days are around this level).

Second is the "size of the pictures" you mentioned. This will be specified in MP (or megapixels). This allows for a picture to be blown up to a certain size without stretching any pixels and losing quality. I would look for a camera with at least 12 megapixels. Again, most camera now days are at least 12MP.

The last choice is waterproof or not? I can't tell from your post if you want a camera that is waterproof, so dropping it in the water is just an "oops, it will be fine," or if it's an "oops, it wasn't expensive anyways." Personally I would suggest a waterproof camera, but that definitely increases your price.

Quickly on the storage of images: usually the camera itself does not store the images, a small card called an SD card does. These cards are pretty cheap and you can usually find them on sale on Amazon, so image capacity most likely wont be mentioned on any reviews for cameras you read.

Hopefully this is helpful in narrowing down your options!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hey Random User,

Many mid level and lower priced digital cameras have benefited from the advancements of the higher priced camera’s of previous years.
Ask yourself these questions:

Are you most likely going to be taking hero shots, photos of anglers and their fish?
Is there a possibility that the camera will be exposed to the rain, get an occasional dunking?
Are you going to take some landscapes too, but not likely to enlarge and make prints of them?
Are you looking for a camera for sharing photos via email or social networking?
Are you going to take the occasional shot of a stonefly on a boulder, a fly in a fishes mouth, your favorite reel for Ards epicReel Love “ thread?
Possibly use it at gatherings with family and friends?

Then what you’re looking for is a glorified Splash-Proof Snap Shot camera.
For that, you don’t need to break the bank. Many under $200.00 digital waterproof cameras will fit that profile nicely.

If you read enough reviews on waterproof cameras, you’ll start to see a common theme in failures - that being, taking the camera diving, even for extended periods in a swimming pool. If that’s your intended use, buy a unit that has a more serious waterproof rating.

I’d be willing to bet that for most fly fishermen, who take tumbles hiking and wading. Who might well drop their cameras on the shoreline rocks or while unloading their vests or packs, a shock proof camera with an average waterproof rating would better serve them.

I picked up a simple Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 16.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera for $79 for my wife to carry in her fanny pack, when it was on sale at Fry's a few months back. It's twice the camera that my two year old Pentax Optio is, at half the price.

Pick a couple of contenders and then shop patiently for them. The camera business is crazy competitive.

Good luck out there, TT
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've responded often to this question in various forms and at different times. My son and I shoot Pentax Optio models WS80 and W90. Waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof and here is what they capture:

Underwater - no problem:

And this one was used in one of my Tips & Tactics articles for Flyfisher Magazine:

And this one:

Made the Cover of this magazine last Fall:

All around, the Pentax Optio models have performed very well for us over the years and I would recommend them highly.

Kelly.
mojo, flyfishmich and spiderninja like this.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

My camera took a dunk in the river a few weeks ago I'll have to start looking for another one.