The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Bows and Arrows

Last weekend I got the opportunity get out and fish some of the small creeks in my area. Man it had been a long time since I'd done any creek fishing. It was a blast fishing some areas that were barely 5' at points. While I was out there I had an epiphany - I learned the bow and arrow cast. By accident!

I was walking under some thick brush thinking to myself, there's got to be a trout or two holding in that bend under the rhodos, but no way to cast there! As I was walking I had to pick up my flies to crawl under some brush, as I did it my rod flexed and I thought to my self, well I be if I let go the rod would throw my flies at least a couple of feet, hmmm...

I tried it at the bend I found and sure enough my flies landed just above a small hole!! Man was I tickled to death. I didn't get great placement on that cast so I decided to try it again and what do I do? Throw my flies into the Rhodos so I had to walk through the hole to get them & spook the fish, but I did see a couple dart down stream, so I'll be back. Can't wait to catch one on a bow and arrow cast!
mcnerney likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bows and Arrows

Planning to use this cast this summer on the Cimarron river. Lots of places on this river you are unable to fish without the bow and arrow cast. This will open up a lot of water that is otherwise passed up. Those wary trout are holed up in that shade.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite a B and A, but you can do something quite similar even with a short 2hander. Odd to make a 'D' loop with your rod tip almost flat to the water.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 PM

I must be mistaken then! Do you have any idea what I was doing then? Also what is a true bow and arrow?

~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
I must be mistaken then! Do you have any idea what I was doing then? Also what is a true bow and arrow?
R7 I know exactly what you're doing. But at the risk of sounding insulting, you didn't invent the wheel.

Personally 're-inventing' the B & A has cost me more than a few flies, leaders, in one cast danged near a fly line (Scandi head). You just wrap the line around your arm and back off and hope for the best.

Flies gone, leaders popped, but so far so good on loosing a full line.

Well, that's not almost quite true. Wrapped the bloody thing (line) around a major rock and 'you're fracked.' And I might add, the same rock on the Rogue below Grants Pass. Able to walk up/pull from danged near 100'ish yards above and got same free. Line was toasted.

Appears I have a large/slow leaning curve. Only good thing was I had a 'FISH ON' in both cases. Well, for a while.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Joe Humphreys | Fly Fishing

http://eat-sleep-fish.co.uk/content/...g-jim-williams

Variations on the Bow and Arrow Cast including a Bow and Arrow Roll Cast, 30 foot Bow and Arrow, etc, by Joe Humphreys.

Here's Joe doing it on a stream and the result.

jpbfly likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 04-13-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Huh. It sounds like we have at least a few highly-trained users of that tactic, but none mention embedding hooks in their thumbs and fingers. And when you've got the force of your rod unbending driving those hooks in....
Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Huh. It sounds like we have at least a few highly-trained users of that tactic, but none mention embedding hooks in their thumbs and fingers. And when you've got the force of your rod unbending driving those hooks in....
Here's how to avoid the hook point.

Click the image to open in full size.

From Fly Casting with Jim Williams | Eat, Sleep, Fish

From Fish, Flies & Water » Bow and Arrow Cast

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

My son Nico is a bows and arrows fanit's sometimes the only way to reach a fish...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
That's exactly what I was doing. And not insulted at all, I clearly didn't invent the cast, it was just neat to stumble upon something ive heard about but never seen.

You really do have to watch for those hooks though. I bet you could try to use foreceps, not sure how well though

~ Arnold Gingrich