The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By superflyflinger
  • 2 Post By jaybo41
  • 3 Post By mrfzx
  • 1 Post By busbus
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM

superflyflinger is on a distinguished road
Default New guy from SW Pa, [PLEASE help me find a good local place to fish]. :-)

Hello my name is Brad. I am getting ready to start fly fishing again. And I was wondering is someone could please help recommend some good places for me to fish close to where I live. I live in strongstown Pennsylvania its within Indiana county. Im roughly a 5 min drive from yellow creek state park.

I moved back here to Pa from Colorado after i got out of the army. And a lot has changed around here since i moved, I need some help finding some good places to fly fish. I will mostly be fly fishing for trout. While I was stationed in Colorado I did get to do some awesome fly fishing in the Rockies, and I hope it did not ruin me for its going to be hard to beat what was offered there in Colorado.

I know of a few places to fish now. They are little yellow creek, yellow creek, a stream near rural valley, rochester mills, and a couple more that I have looked up. But I went scouting a few places around where I live, and almost everything is posted. Its a major bummer cause I just stocked up on over $500 worth of fly fishing gear. But now im having a hard time finding any good places to go. I used Pa's fish and game commissions website to look for local streems but every time I go to look at them in person I run in to the same thing. The streams listed and highlighted on the maps as trout waters are posted most of the time. What gives, this is crazy lol.

Please help me out. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. The first day of trout starts tomorrow so any help would be awesome. Thanks for reading Brad

Sent from my stone tablet chiseled with steel lol
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New guy from SW Pa, [PLEASE help me find a good local place to fish]. :-)

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! Having fished a reasonable amount of PA's waters (as you know there are lots of streams) and fishing out of state, I think you'll find that fishing here in PA will be somewhat of a letdown, however there is still a lot of really good water. I haven't fished the Rockies, but they are a dream for many of us.

What I would recommend on the PA Fish & Boat site is get to know the Special Regs areas if you are going after stocked fish. They're open year round and are for the most part C&R with the exception of those designated for Harvest in July.

If it's wild fish you're after, you will need to look at the Class A list and or the Wilderness lists to find the stream names and coordinates. The challenge with these is often what you've described. Posted land. What you should do is talk with land owners and ask for permission to fish. The worst they can say is NO, so not much to loose.

If you're wiling to drive a bit, there is a ton of water around State College and lots of streams in North Central PA and the Allegheny National Forest.

Admittedly, I'm not all that familiar with Indiana County streams so I can't help you much there. Love your tag line by the way, that's great LOL!
Hardyreels and busbus like this.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:36 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New guy from SW Pa, [PLEASE help me find a good local place to fish]. :-)

Hello, and welcome fellow Keystoner! I am in Somerset County, about an hour or so south of Indiana, PA about a half hour south of Johnstown, if those references help. I see much posted land myself, but here often the land-owner will post a "fishing permitted" sign. They only have to post one on their property, so sometimes they are hard to find. If the State stocks the steam, or labels it "approved trout water", then some public access is allowed.

My father-in-law owns about a mile and a half of an absolutely gorgeous trout stream here in southern Somerset County. All the land is posted, but he has the prerequisit "Fishing Permitted" sign posted too. About a year ago he was seriously contemplating removing the fishing permitted sign. It seems a group of teenagers decided to camp on his property without permission, and when confronted, not only did they get combative, they each had more than their limit of trout in possesion. All's well that ends well, and no blood was spilled (although knowing my father-in-law, I'm not sure how there wasn't anybody shot). The fish comission cited and fined them, and fishing is still allowed.

If you are interested in making the trip south, I will show you enough great fishing to keep you busy for at least a decade. Let me know.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Hello, Brad, and welcome from another SWPA flyfisher! While I live south of Pittsburgh, in Bethel Park, but my daughter goes to IUP and it seems like there are some nice spots over there, at least on the main route to the college.

I also agree with jaybo in that there are some wonderful streams in State College. My son goes to college there....man! Makes me want to leave work right now and get on a stream!

Homer: How did your boys do in the tournament you went to over the weekend? I think it was a tournament you had to go to instead of making it to Opening Day?

ray
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Brad,

Welcome to the forum, I'm a Pennsylvania guy but never lived or fished where you are at. The fellas in your area are doing a good job with their replies. I would recommend doing some in state exploring as your time allows. Target the Lycoming - Tioga - Potter and Clinton counties to find some of the best that Pennsylvania has to offer. Maybe a couple of you members could do a trip together........... I would give all the long distance logistical support I could to you if you decided to wander a bit.

Take a good look at Big Pine Creek which runs along SR 44 and Rt. 414. There is even a bike trail built on the old rail bed from Jersey Shore / Avis PA. all the way to Ansonia.

Along the roads or trail you will find so many good opportunities that you may consider relocating into Lycoming or another county up that way.

Once again I'll say welcome and I hope you'll have time to see Pennsylvania in its entirety because I believe it to be one of the best fly fishing destinations in our country.

Ard
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

if you do the tioga/pine creek thing get ahold of me I have a small fly shop on pine creek..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM

superflyflinger is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for all the replies and helpful info, I really appreciate it.

I was able to find a couple good streams to fish in close to where I live. They will probably be fished out soon due to how many people fish them. The streams are called little yellow creek, and yellow creek. They are the little streams that feed into yellow creek lake. I was able to catch a few nice ones the two times I got to fish them.

The streams here are a lot different that Colorado. Their is limited room to cast due to all of the trees and brush along the banks of the streams. So im learning how to cast a new way. Having a 9" rod does seem to help alittle enabling me to flip the line out to where I need it. Its going to take some time, but I will eventually get the hang of it lol.

Sent from my tin can, using tin can talk lol

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
if you do the tioga/pine creek thing get ahold of me I have a small fly shop on pine creek..
I will definitely have to come up some time . Thanks so much for the awesome offer. About how long does it take to get to your shop from indiana pa?

Sent from my tin can, using tin can talk lol
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 PM

theian85 is on a distinguished road

I'm in Cambria county about 10 minutes from Ebensburg. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to get out in my neck of the woods. Lots of good streams within an hour of you.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough

I don't have too much experience with sw pa, but I'll be visiting the yough in a month or so from what I hear this is a decent river with a few smaller Class A streams in the area as well. This river may be a good option for you. Try asking around locally. Look up local fly shops and ask for advice on creeks (and buy some flies). If you ever get a chance to go to Pine Creek (North-Central PA), do it, stunning scenery and a beautiful creek.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

There are a lot of fly fishing opportunities near you but one of the closest where I make many trips to is the Little Mahoning Creek's Delayed harvest fly fishing only section. It's got a lot of diverse water giving you many different options. Here is an except if found on the waters:

"A Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only section begins just
below Nashville. It's a four and a half mile stretch of
water that runs from Cesna Run downstream to State
route #1034 at Rochester Mills that's heavily stocked.
Little Mahoning Creek is fairly large in the DH area,
averaging about sixty feet in width. It has a good rock
substrate and some fairly fast flowing runs and riffles.
The pools are rather large and deep and provide good
holding areas for the holdover trout."

Heres a link to a map of Rochester Mills, PA which is a good place to start exploring:
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...m&z=15&vpsrc=0

Let me know if you need any further details, I also have some of my own photos of the water if you want.

Matt