The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM

querorz is on a distinguished road
Default Deep waters?

Hi guys,

I am a total beginner and i have never caught a fish with fly fishing. But i guess i know the problem. The waters i try to flyfish are either lakes or deep rivers. So the depth is not less than 4-5 feets and in these waters you can never see the fish on the surface. They are always at least a couple feet below the water. What should i do? I don't think the fish will ever come up to get the fly.

Should i use only nymphs in these waters to get my fly down in deep water? In my country it is nearly impossible to do fly fishing that i see in your videos. So i dunno what to do. I am losing my trust to fly fishing because it seems impossible for me to be sucessful with it here. Help guys, help .

Ty. Fatih
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deep waters?

Rivers:
You can drift nymphs under an indicator.

You can swing streamers or soft hackled wet flies with a sink tip line.

Lakes:
You can fish with streamers with a full sinking line.

You can hang a nymph under an indicator. If the water is more than 10 feet, you can use a slip indicator, so there is not any interference with the indicator and the rod tip top.

Dennis
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

It would be helpful to know what kind of fish live in your waters?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Don't give up fly fishing! Generally if you don't see fish near the surface feeding, you don't fish dry flies or emergers. You need to fish something deeper: nymphs and streamers. On lakes, you will probably need a sinking line to get down to the fish. They just need to see your fly. I would reccomend starting with streamers and leeches because you need to make a nymph look natural and float perfectly with the current. Lecches and streamers can just sit there or you can move it.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

fish the edges where the land or weed beds drop off with an intermediate sinking line.

Fish a floating line with 10-12 feet of leader tippet under an indicator

Start with a super slow retrieve, if that does not work, try two quick one inch tugs, then let it settle back down for a few seconds, then tug again.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

Another thing, if the fish are pretty deep you don't have to worry to much about disturbing the surface with your casts.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM

querorz is on a distinguished road

Guys, ty very much all. I guess streamers are what i need. Can you show me some streamers that most freshwater fishs will like to attack? We don't have sinking fly line in Turkey. So i guess i need to do it like webrx says. With a long leader. But i don't know how to manage to cast such a long leader with just 6 feet rod?
1 think i don't understand is , why everybody tells me to use an indicator?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:39 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I've found using an indicator when nymphing allows you to know the depth you're fishing at (approximately) as well and more easily detect strikes and know when to set the hook.

When I nymph I virtually always use an indicator

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

I hate to ask, but are you using a fly rod, and if so what weight line is it rated for? The only 6 foot fly rods I've ever seen were very light weight.

An indicator is nothing more than a float attached to your leader to help visually when you get a strike.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by querorz View Post
1 think i don't understand is , why everybody tells me to use an indicator?
Turkey, that's what I had forgotten,

Are there mountains with small streams near you? Trout?

You need smaller water to learn in, and if you can find this you will not need indicator.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;