The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By king joe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default D.I.Y. bull trout trip ideas

I'm looking at going on a do it yourself trip for bull trout. I was wondering if anyone had ideas on where to go? I'm looking for a place where I could camp out. I do have a kayak if that helps at all but, i would rather be able to wade fish. and big fish would be nice too.

also what rods, lines, flies would best suit a trip like this.

thanks for the advice!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: D.I.Y. bull trout trip ideas

I have never caught one but I believe they have them in Oregon. Standard trout gear and streamer flies should catch them, they work for everything else. Maybe someone knows this species and will reply.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2013, 01:37 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

You open to Canadaland?

BC or Alberta is the way to go.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Could camp at Horsehead Lake and fish the headwaters as well as the streams of Glacier National Park. Call a few of the guide shops (stumptown anglers of Whitefish, MT) for more detailed info.

Dave
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

You're in luck...sort of.

I used to do 'work' (fish biologist = me) on bull trout in NE BC....where the largest of the large have been caught (cough cough by me cough cough BC record cough cough).

I have caught them with pretty much anything. Fly wise, smaller bulls will readily take typical trout patterns including the range of smaller nymphs. However, as is the biology of these fish and fish eating fish like them....in order to get big, they have to eat big, protein filled critters like fish, frogs, mice, and whatever. They are not shy by no stretch of the imagination.

For that, large streamers and larger wet flies can work. For me, I took my pike/walleye box with me and used those same larger, aggressive flies when in bull trout water. I have also really enjoyed dry fly fishing for big bulls...but dry fly may be a bit of a misnomer as the fly is a mouse...or even small muskrat sized type of thing....like you'd use bass....or again, pike.

Now...here's the thing. Bulls in BC...and I beleive Alberta...are on the endangered species list. I think there may be regulations against fishing for them in NE BC even. That said, I no longer live in BC and have not for just over 10 years...so I am not current on the status of angling for them. They are still on the Species at Risk list...but as to the angling prohibitions...I am not sure.

That said. NE BC...Peace River (Alaska Highway) and connecting watersheds....IF allowed...produce the biggest bulls in the province.

Interior BC...Rivers/watersheds around the town of Prince George....produce big bulls.

Just make sure you check SARA status and regulations.

Good luck

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now that's a reply!

Duely noted and Rep Points sent your way Joe. Real good post that one,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I think they are on the endangered list in all of their range.. I did get some on the metolios river in Oregon. great campgrounds there as well in the camp sherman area. fished for cutts and caught bulls..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

You can legally fish for them (C&R only in some areas) in Alberta and British Columbia. You can legally target them in certain watersheds in Montana until July 31.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Could camp at Horsehead Lake and fish the headwaters as well as the streams of Glacier National Park. Call a few of the guide shops (stumptown anglers of Whitefish, MT) for more detailed info.

Dave
That would be a no-no, and potentially a MT FWP ticket w/ some light ESA violations thrown in if you get caught. You can target Bulls in MT only in certain spots for a limited time period.

DRC, I think you can fish for them w/ easy access in Oregon (The Metolius?) but I'd second King Joe and say if you wanna go BIG, go Canada.