The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why did my tippet ruin my day?

I got some 'climax' brand tippet a couple of years ago for a good price. It was all garbage... I could break the 4x with my fingers like it was 7x.

Clinch or non-slip loop knot has been working well with Rio or seaguar fluoro and mono.
PS, a good way to save money is to get a large spool of seaguar fluoro (designed to fill a spin reel), and refill tippet spools with it.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

Just so you guys can feel my pain a little bit, here is a video of my pain:

Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Possible cause... tightening a dry knot.

Are you wetting the knot before cinching it down? If you don't do this, the heat from the friction when tightening the knot can severely weaken your line in the knot area.

I use a simple clinch knot and once the line is wrapped and passed back through, I get some saliva on there before tightening it down.

Just a thought... I never really had the tippet fail exactly where do describe (that I can recall anyway).
'

I've seen fishermen neglect to spit on their knot before tightening.

I learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I also check my hooks for burs and anything that would help knot failure. It's rare, but I have found a few. I make it a habit to run my finger around the eye/ring and visualy inspect them. Also as some have already mentioned is to be sure to wet the knot and pull it tight and test the knot before fishing. Use the San Diego Jam Knot, best I have used.

Craig

Last edited by shimloom; 04-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 PM

flyfisherz will become famous soon enough

All of the above is good advice. I'm personally a big fan of the Orvis knot, I switched after the clinch failed me a number of times, and the Orvis has yet to fail. I also find it easier to tie. Just make sure you spit on the knot before tightening and inspect the inside of the hook eyelet to check for a sharp spot that may be cutting the tippet.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Did you recently dunk your fly box? Sounds to me that your hooks' eyes are rusty.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I tie clinch knots inconsistently -- while most are good and hold well, I occasionally do one that doesn't tie properly and I've lost more fish than I want to remember on it.

I switched to the uni knot and it has never failed me.

That said, if you tie the clinch knot well and don't have problems I'd be looking at trying some different tippet and seeing if your results change.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:46 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Get rid of the fluorocarbon. I hate the stuff and do not even see any advantage in it's use.

Use the George Harvey knot to tie your fly to the leader. If you do not believe that it is strong....give it some head to head tests at the kitchen table.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear your bad luck w/ knot failures.

A few suggestions for you that I agree w/ others on here.

1) Go to the Orvis podcast. They review knots in detail on one of them. He says the simple clinch knot was proven head to head to acheive a higher tensile strength than even the double clinch and many others. They used a fancy strain gauge to measure breaking strengths for differnet knots. It's (clinch knot) a tried and true knot, and if you're using the right tippet and procedure, it's a more than suitable knot over most others for steelies.
2) Spit on your line before you cinch it tight.
3) I' ve used Seagar products and they're not as advertised in my experience. Maxima, Frogg Hair, and Drennan fluorocarbons are tops on the ole' silverbacks list. I tried Drennan a couple of years ago, and I'm sold. Strongest stuff I've ever used. It's a little larger in diameter than comparable line sizes, but that means if you normally use 10 #, use an 8 # Drennan. It apparently doesn't deteriorate over time like mono does, but I say buy new spools each and every year. The only down side, is it's really hard to find. I get it in NY, but can be bought on Ebay. Don't try to save a few bucks on a critical component for your rig.
4) +1 on the rusty hooks, if you got your flies wet, the eyes may be crudded up and may be cutting your line.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have endured a similar problem to yours and in the same kind of environment too. I doubt your material is rotten and I am assuming your flies are tied on quality hooks sans burrs and rust. Repeated failure of the loop of tippet at the hook eye as described is a frictional energy issue. A large, hard fighting fish like a steelhead is fought somewhat longer, changes direction of pull frequently and is pursued in quite cold water. A disadvantage of single loop through the hook eye knots is that the loop moves against the metal as the steelhead changes the direction of pull. Mono being porous, the cold stiffens it some and the side-to-side shifting weakens it with frictional until it breaks.

One solution is the non-slip loop knot, particularly if you are swinging flies as there is more surface area to distribute energy over. For nymph or egg flies a fixed knot is better and I addressed this occasional issue on the Salmon River when I used to fish there back in the Autumn of the year in the late 80's early 90's by employing the Trileen knot. A jammed coil strength knot like the clinch it varies by the tippet passing through the eye of the hook TWICE. Yes, it is stronger than the clinch knot but that is not really the point; the dual loops of material through the eye LOCK the knot centrally to the eye largely eliminating position shift of the knot relative to the eye thus vastly reducing frictional energy. I won't tell you I never busted a big chrome steelhead ever again but not at the knot's hook eye loop.

So impressed was I by this experiment that I use the Trileen even on small dry flies trout fishing...assuming it is light enough to thread the hook eye twice. I am far less concerned about the allegedly measured strength of both knots and tippet material and am focused on the mechanical integrity of fishing knots for specific applications.

Click the image to open in full size.