The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why did my tippet ruin my day?

From my experience on the west coast steelhead are not leader shy. I use 15lb maxima most of the time, and never less than 10lb. I the video you seemed to be apply good pressure the fish wasn't moved very much. I always use mono never flourocarbon for steelhead with a double turle knot. There has been alot of good advice here. Whatever you choose to do give it a good test before you hit the water.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why did my tippet ruin my day?

Well, I just got back from the local fly shop. Picked up some fresh tippet, bought a bunch of new flies, and talked to the local guide. He convinced me to use a little heavier tippet. I am planning on moving on up to 10 lb test in clear conditions and 15 lb when it is a little muddier. I was using 8lb this last weekend. I am also definitely going to be more vigilant about giving my knots a little saliva. I think I may stick with the clinch knot ...maybe more out of morbid curiosity than anything else. I also inspected the eyes of my hooks to make sure they are not rusty. So, that should cover it. I am headed out to get some revenge this weekend. Wish me luck!