The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By r reese
  • 1 Post By rccola712
  • 1 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Guess I have lost my mind!

I have sold all fly fishing rods longher than 61/2 ft. gone ultra light all 3 weights now. Having the time of my life. Fish small trout parks and tailwaters and warm water creeks, have landed fish up to 14 in. no problems . I have found my place. Winston WT my go to rod , orvis superfine touch my next favorite reels are Galvan Brookie 0 and Ross Evolution 0 brook trout.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guess I have lost my mind!

Nice! There's something about small streams, small beautiful wild fish, and light rods. I've got a TFO 3 wt I love fishing with. I've even landed trout in the 18-20 range with it! Love it when that rod buckles!
r reese likes this.

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

THAT is trout fishing !
r reese likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
I have sold all fly fishing rods longher than 61/2 ft. gone ultra light all 3 weights now. Having the time of my life. Fish small trout parks and tailwaters and warm water creeks, have landed fish up to 14 in. no problems . I have found my place. Winston WT my go to rod , orvis superfine touch my next favorite reels are Galvan Brookie 0 and Ross Evolution 0 brook trout.
If that is all you fish, you have the right tools.
r reese likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 PM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

For now having lots of fun, will be something else later , but now this is the most awesome for me love it
Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

For 2 solid seasons I fished nothing but small brooks in Pennsylvania. Slate Run, Ceder Run and many lesser known streams. I used my 6'6" Orvis Flea in bamboo for dry fly and a custom 6'3" graphite for streamers. I know how intimate the experience can be, however I did keep the other rods and when the desire for bigger water came along they saw their action again.

In all the years I only sold 2 rods; a St. Croix Ultra Legend 7' 3 weight and a Sage VT-2 9' 7 weight. For whatever reason I had bought them and early on found that neither seemed the equal of my old rods. I sold them before they lost much in value.

Now I'm trying to be careful with acquiring these Spey rods. I have 5 now and expect that this will be all. Funny thing, once you start using a 13 - 15 foot rod, many of the 9' salmon rigs never leave the house any more.

Same thing just different

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2013, 05:49 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Ard, I know I promote lite rods a lot,,cause that's the fishing I have here. southwest Va trout fishing is very much like the mountain streams of Pa. But I tell ya,,IF I had big trout waters,,,or salmon fishing like you, I'd be intrigued to cast a 15' rod. I watch some of this on WFN channel and I think I'd love it if for the casting only. Looks fun for sure. And I bet salmon fishing would be addicting.

Alas, the only need I have of a fast , long casting rod is our reservoir lakes and rivers for small-mouth..but nothing on the level you have. Must be a dream come true pard..a dream come true.

If I ever have the funds,,I'd love to hire you, come up at peak time, and you could guide me to fish myself into a crazed stupor !

I might even come back to my 3ft wide streams with a 15 ft rod ! LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

I love fishing small creeks for small fish. I have an Echo Carbon 7'6'' 3wt. The creek that I mainly fish for smaller fish the most is near our cabin in the foothills of the Big Horn Mountains.