The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Bleeding fish?

I read this article a couple of days ago, and had never thought of this. Wanted to share it with the forum and see what everyone trout about it. I haven't tried it yet, but it could be a way to save a bleeding fish!

Chug a Coke, Save a Bleeding Fish. | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

If you don't want to read the article they talk about saving a bleeding fish by pouring a coke down the fishes throat to cauterize the wound.

Btw, I recently discovered gink & gasoline, and if you don't read it, I highly recommend it. Lots of great information!

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bleeding fish?

This was posted on the British FFF

How to save a bleeding fish ? Coke - Fly Fishing Forums

My view is that Coke does not cauterize a wound and the fish being held in that death grip is already dead or close to it.

Here is my post about that photo.

A trout that has its pupil centered in the eye is a fish in distress. I call this "eye set."

I think the fish below is dead or close to death.

Click the image to open in full size.

As you catch fish in the next year check out the eyes. Also check old photos you may have. I think you will find that the eye position is good at predicting distress in fish.

Here are photos of fish I have taken on the Madison River, Montana and on one of my local streams. There are some photos of just the eyes.

Note that eye set does not depend on the fish being held up. Even when the fish is flat on it's side, the eye looks down.

Closeup photos

Here are trout taken on a local Wisconsin trout stream.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I doubt very much that I'll try the Coke business

Every so often I have a trout or char hang itself on a big old salmon fly in the spring. The usual prognosis if they have pierced themselves so badly that they are bleeding is death. In 9 years here I've had to kill 2 trout and one char. Everyone else was good to go and swam away no worse for the wear.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Here are photos of dead trout/salmon I grabbed from Google images. Note the "eye set" with the centered pupil of a dead fish.

Compare the pupils of the dead fish above with this fish that is supposed to be alive:

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Boy, that one giant Brookie! I coildn't have killed that unless I were starving.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Besides the eye set, another 'dead' giveaway on the Brookie is that it's dryer than a wall mount.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Some people come up with the weirdest ideas......
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM

bear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to beholdbear 007 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A trout that has its pupil centered in the eye is a fish in distress. I call this "eye set."
I've never noticed that before, I went back to old photos and all the brookies where looking down. The only one I could find was this shot of a landlocked, maybe its the angle of the photo, don't know, I do know the fish still had plenty of life left in him.

I do need to get one of those rubber nets though
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Bleeding fish?

Just my .02 cents, but I look at the "Hero shots" of some great fish out of the water and I cringe. You've had an encounter with one of God's greatest and you treat same like trash before you put him back.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just my .02 cents, but I look at the "Hero shots" of some great fish out of the water and I cringe. You've had an encounter with one of God's greatest and you treat same like trash before you put him back.
Yeah I understand people being proud of their catches, but I am honestly proud that I can even catch one haha I try to keep them in the water as much as possible and typically only take it out if they got hooked a little deep in their mouth and I have to use my hemostats. Though I tend not to use my net that much, been trying to just get the hook out without having to do much touching.

But for these pictures and what not, I do not think a few seconds out of the water for a quick snap is bad, but I just hate seeing fish in that state. I know some people eat them and I am fine with that, but at the same time hate seeing it. I have been going to the closest state park to me since it is a quick drive there and back, and I honestly hate it since most of the people there just use that stupid power bait and get their 5 limit in like 2 minutes and those fish are dead in a few seconds from being handled like a piece of clay. I did have a good chat with an older man last week there though and we were talking about the same thing about how it is just disturbing how people see these types of situations, and even worse that people call it fun to just toss in a line for a few seconds and snatch a fish like they do.