The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:50 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Tagging Lines ???

Anyone else tag their fly lines?

I think I picked this up reading a Lefty Kreh article. I come in about 4' off the end of the line and mark with a permanent marker.

I use modified roman numerals to indicate weight:
3-weight = ...
5-weight = _
7-weight = _..
etc

and then use basic morse code for everything else

so,
_
. _ _ ._. ._.
_ _...

5-weight Weight Forward Floating Long Body
Guest1, mrfzx and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Tagging Lines ???

Damned good idea! Never heard/read that before. Simple, effective, just works.

With your permission, I'd like to do a cut/paste (credit where credits due) to other Fora.

Fred
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tagging Lines ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Anyone else tag their fly lines?

I think I picked this up reading a Lefty Kreh article. I come in about 4' off the end of the line and mark with a permanent marker.

I use modified roman numerals to indicate weight:
3-weight = ...
5-weight = _
7-weight = _..
etc

and then use basic morse code for everything else

so,
_
. _ _ ._. ._.
_ _...
I've used some basic marks with permanent marker on mine, but morse code? impressive! I might need to up my game... Greek or Hebrew? Hieroglyphics?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Tagging Lines ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've used some basic marks with permanent marker on mine, but morse code? impressive! I might need to up my game... Greek or Hebrew? Hieroglyphics?
William, your posts are usually very infomative.

This is not one
Fred
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Damned good idea! Never heard/read that before. Simple, effective, just works.

With your permission, I'd like to do a cut/paste (credit where credits due) to other Fora.

Fred
Cut&paste to your hearts content. It's not an original idea, and I don't really know where I read about it. (Besides, its just a post form a random user here.)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I also use long dashes = 5 and short dashes = 1 in black.

Since I only use floating and sink tips I just started adding a long red dash for sink tips. I don't know how well the red will hold up, but will find out soon enough.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

This is a pretty common practice around here. So many of us started with multiple density shooting head systems (myself going back forty years ), one each for different weight rods. With as many as eight heads in each standard head system and more still if the user expanded to include 20/10 head systems, keeping all of those heads straight and in order in our wallets by line weight and density was paramount.

Many of the high density lines - especially Cortland’s Hi-D heads ( Dark Chocolate and Black ) were so close in color tone, that in less than perfect light ( think foggy, grey, dawn and dusk periods. ) while steelhead and salmon fishing on the coast and interior valley, you simply couldn’t tell a type IV from a VI by sight. Likewise, once looped fore and aft, LC-13 heads were pretty close in color to some Deep Water Express heads and to Type IV S.A. heads all being in the grey tones.
Cortland did us a favor back in the day, with some of their old factory looped heads, by color coding the thread used to form each loop. But most of us would remove those loops and install our own braided loop systems.
So to differentiate head weights and densities, we’d mark the sleeve of our hand made braided loops ( these sleeves are much longer than the little Cortland jobbers that you can buy over the counter with those heat shrink tubes ) that ran up the line with a series of dash and dots.
Some would use various color ink markers to color code by line weight, then just add the dot - dash coding for line densities. Some guys even used brightly colored acrylic paint over white primer on the rear of the head to mark the line, in cases where the lines were to dark in tone, to be able to distinguish an ink mark.

Today’s useless bit of trivia: That the color / to line weight thing, sort of mimics what Sage did later on with their fly rod sections ( or a least used to do ).
If you look inside of the female ferrule ( you might need a pen light to see it ) you’ll find a single fine line - colored stripe. That stripe indicates the line weight of the rod, that the female section was or is part of. Then given the color ( finish of the rod blank, wraps and guides ) and the length of the section they are holding, they can determine the rod model that the section came from. Pretty ingenious Huh?

I still mark every new line that I get in, even if they are not going to get pressed into immediate service, simply out of habit.

Good stuff Random User.
Thanks, TT
Old 04-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Someday I may have to do this. I believe that if a fellow is in the midst of collecting rods - reels - and lines faster than he / she can become familiar with what's what this would be almost a necessity. Or if you are using several spools on the same reel body this would be a must.

I've answered the 'what line is that' problem in my own way. Each of the reels are dedicated to a rod and I know what they are. The Spey reels which I went crazy on over the past few years number at 5, however there are 5 rods too so I know what goes where.

I like the dash system Random,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tag the lines per say, but I do have a spreadsheet with rods, reels, and lines on it. Each time I make a new addition, or change lines I just update the sheet. Works for me. Yes, I am a tackle junkie.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
The Hieroglyph thing... I kept bending my tweezers trying to hold onto the tiny chisel while trying to hit it with a hammer.
williamhj likes this.