The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 4 Post By trout trekker
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Reel Cleaning Pics/tutorial?

Has anyone on here done a tutorial for basic reel cleaning? I have several reels used in FW and though I don't do much with them, I figure it might be nice to do *some maintenance once in a while.

I take the spool off and can see the drag 'cogs' but I have no clue what to look for or how to clean/grease them.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Cleaning Pics/tutorial?

Hi,

I'm sure you'll get some advice on this, however I do very little of it. Also many of the new disc drag reels have a 'sealed drag' and require little maintenance there. The best tip I can offer as to why I do so little cleaning & greasing is that I keep the reels out of the sand and dirt. Another helpful habit is to avoid dunking a reel into the water. I know that many marketing photos show the rod butt & reel in the water beside a fish but I don't go there.

You'll find that if you keep them clean & dry while you're using them the lube on the spool shaft, bearings, drags, and etc. will last a very long time. If you find that somehow you have picked up some sand or other foreign material inside the reels workings; most notably you will hear or feel it, remove the spool and dunk the frame to rinse the offending matter from the reel body. if you run into this scenario then you may want to lube the shaft when the day is done.

If you have spring & pawl reels a dab of marine grade grease on the pawls and shaft will keep them running smooth for years. If you don't have marine grease, any type will be better than none.

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2013, 03:49 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
Photo note: Not to be taken seriously!

Hi Turbineblade,

Going with Ard's advice is about as straight forward as you can get.

Beyond that, it'll vary a lot from style to style with reels.
Some MFG's don't want lubricants coming in contact with their drag surfaces while others, as in the case with many cork drags encourage the light us of lube's, but are very specific about which to use.
Still others will ask you not to use lubes around their bushings or clutches, while some with ball bearings suggest lube.

Cleaning can often be done with a simple wipe, yet sometimes we've had to use solvents to free up gummed mechanisms - but not before checking with our MFG's first. Those solvents could harm parts on yet other reels.
There really is no absolute answer that will cover all reels and all service clean-up and re-lube issues and there really isn't one catch all lube out there.

Read enough different MFG's owners manuals and you'll come to the same conclusion. On that subject, many of today’s MFG's have their service manuals on-line and searching those out, might be the best advice.

All the best, TT
Hardyreels, fysh, jaybo41 and 1 others like this.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have reels that need regular maintenance, depending on how much use they get.
My saltwater Medalists get cleaned and lubed after each and every use ( which is a pain you know where).
Most just others get a good cleaning once a year.

Break them down only as far as you feel comfortable with. You need lots of light and a good large work space. There's little pieces to lose and springs and even ball barrings that will go flying if you're not careful. Following schimatics is best, but you can also take pictures and always pile your parts in the right order. Maybe in something like an egg box
I use a toothbrush and machine (3in1) oil to clean everything but if you really need to clean up an old relic, soak it overnight in a very mild vinegar solution, then brush it clean
Hopefully you can put it back together the way it came apart.
You'll want to lube the moving parts with a reel lube like Quantum Hot Sauce. There's other brands too. I think the reel lube that I have came from Penn or Mitchell. I've also used a very light coating of axle grease. You just don't want anything so thick as it attracts dirt and sand.

The best thing to do is a rinsing after each prolonged use.
One of my reels builds up salt behind the drag plate. That's the last and hardest part to remove. It's very difficult to break down that far to give it the cleaning that sometimes needs, especially if things are getting corroded.
It's far easier just to give it a little attention after each use
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-15-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Photo note: Not to be taken seriously!

Hi Turbineblade,

Going with Ard's advice is about as straight forward as you can get.

Beyond that, it'll vary a lot from style to style with reels.
Some MFG's don't want lubricants coming in contact with their drag surfaces while others, as in the case with many cork drags encourage the light us of lube's, but are very specific about which to use.
Still others will ask you not to use lubes around their bushings or clutches, while some with ball bearings suggest lube.

Cleaning can often be done with a simple wipe, yet sometimes we've had to use solvents to free up gummed mechanisms - but not before checking with our MFG's first. Those solvents could harm parts on yet other reels.
There really is no absolute answer that will cover all reels and all service clean-up and re-lube issues and there really isn't one catch all lube out there.

Read enough different MFG's owners manuals and you'll come to the same conclusion. On that subject, many of today’s MFG's have their service manuals on-line and searching those out, might be the best advice.

All the best, TT
Doesn't look all that different than my own tool kit . I routinely break down reels to the smallest components. Fly reels really are really not that difficult, and are a great starting point for any one interested in the hobby. There are a lot of tricks you will learn over time.

Turbineblade, I got some good advice I can offer you. But my best advice would be pointing you towards some other posts, where I acquired my own advice. Send me a pm, and I will redirect you to some excellent reading material.

Last edited by charged; 04-17-2013 at 08:14 PM.