The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default Opening day.

Yesterday was opening day here in New Brunswick for Rivers,Brooks and Streams. I didn't catch anything (except myself) but it was awesome to be able to go out after work after a long, long winter. The Osprey were out and there were ice bergs on shore that are melting and cracking. The ducks and geese were hanging out around icebergs.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening day.

I agree, nothing beats getting out on the water after a long winter.....the catching is secondary and will come in time. Just getting the fly rod out and dusting off the cob webs with the casting is fun in itself!
stenacron, baseman1 and noreaster like this.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Having moved from PA to UT where we have no closed season (thus no opening day), I don't missed the crowds and the mayhem of PA's trout opener... but I do miss the annual event itself; the build up, the big breakfast, the terrible fishing, etc.
shotgunfly, baseman1 and noreaster like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I once visited PA for their opening day...it was my FIRST fly fishing trip. What a freaking intimidating and harrowing event! Have not, will not, return for it. Virginia has plenty of great water and no opening day.
baseman1 and fly_guy12955 like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Other than my avian friends I was all alone. I was not behind my desk anymore and it was peaceful. I am only a 5min walk from my back door there but still so much quieter. My wife made us fish sticks and fries for supper in honour of first day of fishing and the widowing of her to the fishing for the summer and those are her words.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:48 AM

haloj is on a distinguished road

Sounds like fun. I too was out yesterday for a day on the water. I did not catch anything, but had fun none the less.

This was my first forte in fly fishing and it did not disappoint.

Quarryville on the Miramichi was busy as expected with what seemed to me like a lot of folks catching. I was not one of them - very likely due to my inexperience in fly casting.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Seems we have a similar report. We're not that far away.
Been out twice, since opening day Monday ago. Skunked both times. That's ok though. The birds chirping, and sound of the water is relaxing. Didn't even get a raise or see a trout. Some smelts are in though. Makes me think the salters run really isn't in yet. Soon enough.

I really liked this fly in the sunny filled water. That flash is really

Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck fishin

phil
baseman1 likes this.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
I once visited PA for their opening day...it was my FIRST fly fishing trip. What a freaking intimidating and harrowing event! Have not, will not, return for it. Virginia has plenty of great water and no opening day.
Hey Guys,

Opening day is for stocked waters only in Pennsylvania. The Heritage Waters are open year round and almost never anyone to bother you. What you needed Cardo, was to have known me prior to 2004 and I would have taken you to where there are many fish and few people.

Baseman,

Do you fish for salmon there?

Ard
baseman1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Hi Ard,
I pretty much only fish Salmon. If I happen to hook a bass or something else that works too though. I have yet to get he first Salmo Salar but this summer I hopefully will.
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Ard, that would have been fantastic!

As eye opening as it was to literally be fishing shoulder to shoulder with people casting in 6-8 windows into a hole that couldn't have been more than 30ft long and 15ft wide, I would haven't changed it. Despite getting myself tangled up in everyone elses line, I woudn't have changed it.

I was reading over my fishing journal from that first trip...my last entry was..."I WILL NEVER USE BAIT AGAIN..." I was casting salmon eggs among folks casting minnows all on fly rods/reels.

I'll stop being judgmental. But, I realized then if I'm not catchin fish, I'd rather not catch them using flies.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com