The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Returning to Fly Fishing

Hello Everyone!

Just found this site and decided to join. I have been out of fly fishing for 6 years or so and now find myself with the desire to sling some line again. I am located in Ohio and tend to spin fish the Little Miami River. Small Mouth is usually the name of the game with a mix of the smaller panfish too. Some river carp when I spot them.

Last year I noticed something was missing. It took a while to finally figure it out, but it soon became clear the spinner wasn't what I was looking for anymore. So now I find myself coming back to the fly gear. Still researching my future purchases...but already the excitment is building. Some of my best memories were made with a fly rod in my hand.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Fly Fishing

Welcome back to fly fishing. I'm sure there are some bass fly fishers here that can answer your questions.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and to the great sport of fly fishing!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Welcome!

Sounds like a cool place to fish. Here in Kansas, there isn't much in the way of smallmouth bass. Tight lines!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I got back into fly fishing about a year ago, after a 10 or 11 year gap. I'm 23 and used to fly fish in Colorado with my father. My last year of college in Miami, I was laying in my bed one night, unable to sleep, and for some reason my thoughts turned to fly fishing. I realized how much I loved the sport back when I was young and that I wanted to continue. I fell asleep, woke up the next morning, called my parents and asked them to ship me gear, and now I'm back in full swing. There's certainly been a lot of changes since I've been out of the game, and it took me a while to get back up to full speed in terms of all the gear and technical stuff, but none the worse for wear now.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Welcome back.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

To the forum and back to flyfishing
Old 04-17-2013, 03:35 PM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

I picked up fly fishing again last summer after 30 years or so of moving away from the Shenandoah river, where I used to fly fish for small mouth bass after work every day. I had closed my truck door on my old Orvis bamboo rod and figured that was the end of that. Nice rod too...

But last August I got the itch and went and got a 5 wt rod and a used Hardy Princess reel and other odds and ends and started up again in these Maryland rivers, first on smallmouth bass, and finally on trout. Caught my first trout last week and another one this week (small but proud). Over the winter I started tying flies too. Great for the mental health too.

I do notice that it looks like it could get to be an expensive hobby if you let your enthusiasm carry you away...

Rob
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Your enthusiasm doesn't wait for your approval, its already sprinting to the fly shop for more gear.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Returning to Fly Fishing

Welcome back to fly fishing and to the forum. Great to have you aboard