The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Heretical post here - beware

I've tried to like nymphing, but I find that I don't.

I agree that nymphing can be an effective technique, but so can fishing with bait. I don't find the methods I use while nymphing are different in any significant way from bait fishing.

I don't really feel like I'm fly fishing unless there's some casting involved - a lot more than in nymphing.

I like dry fly fishing, wet fly fishing, and using streamers. I'd even use a nymph fly and cast it like a wet fly. Fishing a fly like I would fish a worm just doesn't do it for me.

Anyone else feel like this?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Heretical post here - beware

i fish all my nymphs on the swing. I guess you're referring to high sticking nymphing...

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Love nymphing myself.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Yes...although I don't think of it as equal to bait dunking.

I continue to nymph when conditions dictate, but prefer dries, swinging wets/soft hackles or fishing streamers....in that order.

Don't do it if you don't want to.
fysh, rusty 54 and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't my favorite either, but I fish nymphs. My favorite is dries flies because of the visual nature of it as well as delicate casting. That is followed by swinging soft hackles and streamers because I often feel the take. After that is hoppers, again visual and can get some nice fish but the casting isn't as fun for me as smaller dries. Dead drift nymphing under an indicator falls below these but if it is how I can catch fish I'll do it. Some challenges I enjoy about nymphing include casting without spooking fish when the rig hits the water and figuring out depth and current lanes for a good drift.

Sometimes it lets me catch some fish until fish start rising. Remember the first time I fished Cheesman Canyon. Caught some fish on small nymphs working my way up the canyon until I saw a few fish rising. Switched to a small parachute adams and caught some beautiful trout on dries. In the end it is about doing what you enjoy.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM

fichy will become famous soon enough

The only time I seem to tolerate it is when winter GL steelheading. It's almost a must in the real cold , unless you want to use egg sacks. I must admit to using single hand Spey casts and fishing farther away than most would. I like to swing softhackles and small streamers for trout, and many times they are very effective. I may get outfished by nymph fisherman, but I'm not in a competition. I respect those that learn to rig and fish nymphs, but I choose to fish different methods. I also enjoy casting, so flipping upstream and throwing a few mends doesn't seem as fun. You're hardly alone, plecain. I will not insult or degrade those who nymph, though- it's an art in itself and a separate discipline.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Just so we're clear on this - I don't say that anyone else shouldn't go nymphing if he likes it.

I just find that I don't enjoy it much and wondered if I'm all alone in that.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:21 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I like nymph fishing. 99.9% of my fishing is in lakes. I do a lot of bait fishing but when I compare the two, my fishing technique is the same.

As for detecting the fish biting, I guess the brook trout in my region are voracious because they hook themselves when nymph fishing.

Yes, most of my fly fishing is with dry flies because there are always trout activity at the surface. The only lakes where surface activity is slow are the lakes that have minnows. I use streamers when fishing in these lakes.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
It isn't my favorite either, but I fish nymphs. My favorite is dries flies because of the visual nature of it as well as delicate casting. ...
Sometimes it lets me catch some fish until fish start rising. ...
That's where I am: catching fish until the waters warm enough for rising trout. Dry flies are exciting; nymphing isn't, but it produces trout.

You'll feel better about nymphing if you fish where bait is banned!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If I read correctly you ask, "Anyone else feel like this?"

I do hope we can respect the question and not have the thread digress into a nymph vs. others debate.

I learned how to catch trout and other species using the nymph patterns about 35 years ago. I took the time to learn because I wanted to know how to fly fish in all circumstances. Once I was proficient I felt the way you have expressed that you feel. It has been many years since I dead drifted a nymph. For me there is nothing in my whole life that seems as rewarding as believing that I have mastered the art of line & fly control which are the foundation blocks of catching fish on feather wing streamers and salmon flies.

Ard
Mnflyfish and king joe like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Closed Thread