The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM

rockriv is on a distinguished road
Default I saw this on a blog I follow. I PROMISE IT'S WORTH YOUR TIME!!

I saw this video on a fly fishing blog that I follow. Its incredible a man at the age of 90 still has such a dream! Click the link and watch the video (takes about 3 mins)...its well worth your time, not only as a fly fisherman, but an American. Help out if you can!

Guest1, itchmesir, osok and 1 others like this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 04-16-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Removed the link to the blog.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I saw this on a blog I follow. I PROMISE IT'S WORTH YOUR TIME!!

Excellent video, thanks for sharing!

Larry
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Truly one of The Greatest Generation.
Thanks a whole lot for sharing this.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Did you see the way that back cast straitened out behind him? Like a pool cue, just the right hesitation then the forward cast. That's how I was taught, old Frank is a real good caster!

My father Tom Stetts was landed on those same beaches also. He fought all the way to the Ardennes Counter Offensive which would come to be known as The Battle of The Bulge. His entire division was decimated by the German armor and infantry as they cut through the American troops.

He and other survivors were absorbed into General G.S. Patton's Third Army as Patton came to the rescue and in my fathers opinion 'To Save The War'. He served with the Third all the way to Berlin and until his death at age 48 of Hodgkin's disease that man would have fought another war for General Patton.

I had just turned thirteen when he died. I look at a fellow Franks age with his history I couldn't help but to think of Tom, Dad. He was so big and strong, it was hard to believe that he died. It took years to accept it.

Thanks for the video, I may send Frank a few quid toward the trip.

Ard
mcnerney, osok and nick k like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

That was a really well done video. But my hearing isn't that good. I listened to the first two sentences about 5 times and still have no idea what he said. Was he speaking English?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Frank is a caster! That was great! My Dad served in 43rd at Guadacanal and when he was wounded he spent a year and a half recovering in New Zealand.
His dream was to go back to New Zealand some day and fish the rivers where he had seen the Mauri people feed the big rainbow trout bread and catch one himself. Unfortunately he never lived to see his dream but to honor him I think I'll send Frank a few so he can see his rivers. These men laid it on the line for us and it's a worthy thing to support!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-17-2013, 12:16 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
That was a really well done video. But my hearing isn't that good. I listened to the first two sentences about 5 times and still have no idea what he said. Was he speaking English?
It was English, but like you I am having trouble with my hearing. I am going to try and listen when there is less noise in the morning and see if I can get it. Tried twice tonight and did not understand it either.

The guy is a great caster and in amazing shape for 90.

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
My Dad served in 43rd at Guadacanal and when he was wounded he spent a year and a half recovering in New Zealand.
Mine was in the Marines in the South Pacific. There was an awful lot of those guys that didn't make it back. We should do what we can for the ones that did and remember the ones that didn't.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 AM

rockriv is on a distinguished road

Frank must have been asked a question prior to the cameras starting. His first comment is "Why have I been so blessed?" his second comment is "And so honored too...by the way" his third comment is "Because I really have been."

Glad I could share this with everyone!
mcnerney and Guest1 like this.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I tried a couple of times but I have trouble if there is other noise and I had some stuff going on here last night when I listened to it. My hearing just is not what it used to be.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful video. I just posted this to the Ultralight Fly Fishing Forum as well. I hope you don't mind. I think this one should be seen by everyone, not just fly fishermen.