Tippet material longevity?

alligator

Reaction score
A fly-fishing author, and shop owner, wrote that he replaces his tippet material every year because he doesn't want to lose a good fish due to tippet failure. I've gone to fluorocarbon, so this would be really expensive. I have separate "vests" for trout and smallmouth, further increasing the cost.

My tippet doesn't get sunlight except when I'm fishing. Tippet failure is rare, probably a reflection on the size fish I catch, and usually involves something like a sharp rock.

How long to you keep your tippet material: one, two, three years? Three years seem reasonable to me.

Also, how do you convert lbs., e.g., 20 lb. mono, to x's, e.g., 1x tippet?

silver creek

Reaction score
Fluorocarbon lasts forever.

Nylon mono is weakened by light (UV), heat, and ozone. So store nylon mono like a mushroom - keep it in zip lock bags in a cool dark place.;)

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. Silver has that right,

I have never figured out the lanyard thing that people wear with 4 or 5 spools of tippet hanging out in the elements. I keep it shielded and it seems to last until I empty the spools :)

Jackster

Reaction score
Fluorocarbon lasts forever.

Nylon mono is weakened by light (UV), heat, and ozone. So store nylon mono like a mushroom - keep it in zip lock bags in a cool dark place.;)
and away from electric motors which create ozone.

silver creek

Reaction score
I think another consideration is what size and how fast the angler uses tippet up. If the angler rarely uses any think thicker than 4X, then why replace the the leader material that is 3X and thicker every year? The weakest part of the leader is the tippet; and even if you use 3X that is several years old to rebuild a leader, it will not be as weak as the fresh 4X and 5X that you are tying to it.

I never will understand telling newbies to always buy new tippet material every year. There is a lot of good 3X and 2X stuff being thrown away.

As an example, I use 4X and 5X tippet for 99% of my fishing. Rio Powerflex leader/tippet material in 5x is 5 lb test, 4x is 6.4 lb test, 3x is 8.2 lb test, and 2x is 10 lb test. It will take several years to weaken a 3x 8.2 lb test leader material to the 5.0 lb of the 5x material it is likely tied to. In the 30 plus years I have been fishing, I can't remember when a fish broke the older section of leader material below the tippet. The tippet always breaks.

Most of the time I use tippet fast enough that I do not purposely buy new tippet every year. Consider that the spool I was using at the end of the season was bought late in the season. Why should I throw it away for "new" tippet that may be at best 6 months "fresher".

I will use the same spool of nylon tippet I was using at the end of the last season; and during this season, it will run out and I will buy a fresh spool. Consider that I am still buying at least a new spool every year. Who cares if the swap is in during the season or at the beginning of the season? As long as you use at least one spool of the tippet material that you commonly use every year it makes no difference when that changeover is made.

biggie_robs

Reaction score
If you are using flourocarbon, then you have no worries,

If you are using mono, then get rid of it when it stops working well.

That's my best advice. For those that test their knots, this won't sound so new.

For others, start testing your knots!

silver creek

Reaction score
While it is true that nylon monofilament breaks down faster than fluorocarbon, faster is a relative term in this case. Nylon mono takes 500 - 600 years of full environmental exposure to break down so lets not toss mono because we believe it "breaks down". It is faster that only because fluorocarbon takes about 4000 years.

If Christ's apostles had fluorocarbon fishing nets, they would still be on the bottom of the Sea of Gallilee.

wichaka

Reaction score
I've still got tippet material that's over 5 years old. Keep it in a box during the off season, and into a pocket on the vest during the season.

I test the knot strength and it still holds, and have yet to loose a fish due to it's breaking.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too have some leader tying material that is old enough to go to school and it is fine (I treat it "like a mushroom"). The 3X> that gets used more seems to last 3+ years no problem and then...its empty. As said above; no material should be discarded into the environment. I do use fluoro but in the salt only; I vastly prefer the properties of mono trout fishing. Oh, by the way, that bit of writing that says the pound test rating on the spool, they make that number up for marketing purposes.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The first year that fluorocarbon was on the market, the spool that I bought didn't last through season. Why ? I haven't a clue.
Turned me completely off on the stuff and I haven't used it since.
I've got some Orvis SuperStrong mono that's better than 20 years old.
That I trust.

If it's old, test it before you tie it on.... And carry back-up