The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bless me Father, for I have sinned

"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business." Alfred W. Miller

If fishing with a spin outfit makes one a sinner then I am Chief amoung sinners. Not only do I break out the spin gear for stream smallies, I have even fished large wooley buggers on a spinner on tight quarters streams. What's worse, if i can't have any luck with gills on the fly (which to date I have not), i use.....wait for it....[I]bait[I]. I know I'm terrible, but if it makes it less painful, I am a fly rod purist when it comes to trout, which I typically release. Pan fish tend to go in the pan however.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

"whatever floats your boat" comes to mind. As long as a guy follows the rules and cleans up after himself, who cares?

At the risk of making a serious observation...(sorry)...if you're a newby and want to get better as a fly guy, leave the spinner home and accept the skunk that sometimes comes with that. If you have a fallback, you'll go to it.

If you just like to fish with gear or bait part of the time, have fun doing it. It's all good.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies.

I hope you all knew this was tongue-in-cheek.

I really SHOULD have taken the fly rod out, no matter how windy it was, and practiced. Lord knows I need more practice than just about anybody.

I needed to just be out on the water; I just needed to go thru the motions. I needed to be by myself with nobody else around. I needed a cigar. I needed to just fish. I had a great time. I was feeling good and thought I would post a joke in these forums.

I think some may have thought I was semi-serious. I wasn't. I'm not. I agree with the responses saying that sometimes you just need to do what you need to do. I knew it would rub some purists "the wrong way" and I was giving them the chance to let me know!

It is all good--meaning that there is a chance I could slip again in the future!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

We should also phrase the spinning rod for helping us to get started no matter how much we hate them, the OP admitted his error as we all should and let our wife’s lash us with said spinning rods for spending so much money on our alternative, Ok forget it she’ll never know which rod to use to cause me pain nor how much I spend on our alternative, we fish.

Rick
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

You are forgiven since I did the same thing just 2 weeks ago from a boat.
After 2 hours of no bass on the fly rod. I pulled out my drop shot rod and 3 LM in a row. Put down the spinning rod down since my boat mate said it wasn't fair.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have held off on comment on this one, but have decided to toss my two cents in. I don't consider it a sin. If it is, I commit the same sin on a fairly frequent basis. I have a lot of friends that fish, and only one who does it here with a fly rod. If I am going to fish with them, especially out on the big lake with a boat, the fly rods are pretty much not an option.

IF there is a sin at all committed here, it would be talking about it on a fly fishing site. Even that is a big IF.
busbus likes this.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, Dan.

Coming from somebody like you, I don't feel so bad now.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:12 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I know what you are going through, dude! I'm also a "sinner"

In a deep lake, I really like my XUL spin, some call it "threadlining" I use 2lb Nanofil (.002 diameter line) and a carbon Stradic UL on a 1wt flyrod blank with spin guides.

Now, I'm catchin' 100 big bluegills with my 3wt flyrod. When the fish move into shallow water, a fly rod is hard to beat. I have a Helios and the fight of a 8" Bluegill on a 3wt with a fly I tied myself is really the ultimate thrill?

And carp! I have a couple "Euro" 12' spin carp rods with the electronic strike indicators ....... but this year I'm going after carp with my 8wt and a fly!

Really, it's what makes you happy?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

At a nice pool I fish, Guys are always fishing baits or lures of different kinds. Gudgeons and other live minnows, worms, Rapala minnows, corn and even shrimp rings from the grocery stores. Its hard sometimes when they are pulling in pounders and I've thrown everything in the book at them to no avail. Patience and persistence though. I know later in the season they will be watching me though.