The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Bless me Father, for I have sinned

I am so embarrassed...I think.

I have been having some horrific days at work as we are implementing software at work and just NEEDED to go fishing. Like I have said in the past, the only places near my house to fish are some overfished lakes and a couple streams that have mostly some wayward bass and panfish.

It was windy as heck, so I........broke out my spinning gear!!

I just had to. I am not a good enough caster to fight the wind that was there today and I had to, HAD TO, get some fishing therapy in; otherwise, I was going to have to go to the funny farm.

What kind of penitence do I have to perform??

I am really, really sorry and repentant...I admit, I DID have a good time. I DID catch a nice, little smallmouth. I DID it...and I might do it again. It's a curse, a CURSE, I tell you.

Do I need to be stopped? Will it cause me to backslide? What do I do if I get the urge again??

Oh, and it was also nice to pull out a nice cigar at the same time. Had a heck of a time lighting it but I finally did and life was sweet, SWEET, for about 90 minutes. Didn't think about work until my phone buzzed and told me I had to get ready for another awful meeting at 9:00 PM.

I hope this doesn't cause me to get kicked out of here...I really am sorry guys...but at least I did fess up.

ray
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Bless me Father, for I have sinned

10 lashes with a bamboo cane fly rod!:
And a mandatory reading of A river Runs Through It.

Go forth and sin no more.

Last edited by noreaster; 04-18-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Ok, so you did admit the sin, so good for you The last time I used a spinning rod was "a long time ago"

Think of it as a release from the perfection of true fishing

No go pay the penance, one large Whisky, dash of cold water, no ice.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Reaches back and tosses huge stone at the sinner !

(I use spinning gear to catfish with...so I just cast a stone while having my own sins LOL)

Pard,,any kinda fun outdoors is better than no fun outdoors.

Go, and sin ,,little as you can , OK ?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

The first step to fixing a problem is recognizing you have a problem.

You came forward. You have been counted.

White board it.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Ok, so you did admit the sin, so good for you Whisky, dash of cold water, no ice.
Dont be so cruel! Have a heart!

Drink it neat.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Click the image to open in full size.

Gather the pitchforks and torches fellas

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2013, 12:11 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Now you've gone and ruined your casting rhythm. That shall be your penance.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
It was windy as heck, so I........broke out my spinning gear!!

Tar and feather him!!!
You would often break it here....it's usual to have wind over 100 kmph...next time take you fly rod and fight!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to start an argument but I am not above using spinning gear. When you are a warm water angler sometimes you do what you gotta do. Lefty Kreh will back that up. I think what a lot of fly guys don't realize is the amount of skill it takes to really fish with spin gear. Anyone can fish bait, or reel in a crank or spinner, but that is only a small sliver of spin fishing, and if that is all you do then you are selling yourself short and missing a lot of fish. Like fly fishing, presentation is very important with things like jigs, "walk the dog" style topwaters, jerk baits, and soft plastics. One other thing that I get from spin fishing that I hardly get from fly fishing is the "feel". Using a one piece, fast action spinning rod with braided line is pretty much like extending your finger all the way to the bait. Feeling every little "tick" from your jig bouncing off rocks, concentrating for that once certain "tick" that is different. Again not trying to start an argument, just pointing out both styles have merits.
All that said, since I got the fly fishing bug over the fall, its all I've been in to since Only time I've gotten out the spin gear lately is when I've taken the lady fishing (she's recently been showing some interest and I'd love to foster that!).
So in other words I too have sinned.
dakotakid likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:18 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

dont feel bad i have been known to break out the spinning rod to fish for smallmouth when they are on the bottom and i just cant seem to get them to respond to a fly.usually this is in the hot summer and a 4 inch plastic worm will get them to bite in the afternoon. good news is the last hour or so before dark they usually move to the riffles and shallow pool tail outs and i get after them with the fly rod and popping bugs.