The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM

inselman is on a distinguished road
Default Good Podcast(s)?

I'm a beginning fly fisherman who is head over heels. I do a lot of driving so I'm looking for a good podcast to listen to to pass the time and educate myself. Any suggestions on iTunes podcasts? Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Podcast(s)?

The three fly fishing podcast I like are:
1. Orvis with by Tom Rosenbauer,
2. Itinerant Angler
3. Harry Murray's podcasts

Beyond that is Car Talk, A Prairie Home Companion (the news from Lake Wobegon), and NPR's Intelligence Squared in case you listen through the fly fishing ones and need something else to fill the time until the next podcast comes out.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM

inselman is on a distinguished road

Thank you! That will get me started! Now... if only this foot of snow would go away here in MN
Old 04-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with William, spend some time listening to those podcasts, you will be surprised at what you will learn. Also checkout the Orvis Learning Center, it is a great place for a beginner.
How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis

Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The three best podcast in order in my opinion are:

1. Ask about Fly Fishing Internet Radio

Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

2. The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast

Fly Fishing Podcasts | Weekly Fly Fishing Podcast Tips | Orvis Fishing Podcasts | Fly Fishing Tips W

3. The Itinerant Angler Podcast

The Itinerant Angler

I have listened to ALL of Harry Murray's Podcasts and the early ones have some value, but in my opinion they have become an advertisement for his flies and shop. He always says the best fly for any situation is some version his Mr. Rapidan flies. So start with his introductory podcasts.

Unfortunately, some of the very best podcasts from Fly Fish Radio are no longer available. Norm Albiston's 4 podcasts on fly fishing are classics.
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

I agree with the recommendations for Tom Rosenbauer's podcasts. If you have the Orvis App on Iphone or Ipad you can access them easily and download to listen off-line. I like his casts but I find them very long so i download and listen in small increments...