The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

Only fishing buddy I got is my dad. He taught me how to fish (spin gear, not fly, I'm self taught fly fishing), so really we know each other and there's no peeves. Having said that I do have one MAJOR peeve:

When you are on a public stream and see someone fishing in a pool, please don't let your kids out to run around like heathens and throw rocks in the pool spooking the fish while you set up a pick-nick
Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

My only one is people that spend too much time worrying about what everyone else does and not themselves.
Poke 'Em and wishiniwerfishin like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

In no particular order:

Never getting up in time to catch the morning bite.

Always wanting to fish the same two spots on the same two pieces of water. I mean every single time.

Always, always forgetting to bring at least one critical fishing item. Last time, he forgot his reels. All of them.

Always building bonfires (unless its windy) that are so hot you have to sit at least 10 feet away from the fire ring.

But, he taught me how to cast, and he doesn't mind driving, so what're ya going to do?
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I have a buddy (he is an engineer), he reads as much as he can about a river, weather, specific time of year, etc. When we get to the water, he has his mind made up as to what flies he will fish that trip and what part of the day. It is almost impossible to get him to switch his train of thought even when others are catching and catching and he is not. He is so stubborn; thinking all his reading / info will eventually pay off. Sometimes during a lunch / drink break, I will cut his fly off, tie on what we have been hitting them with and finally he'll hook up. I cannot imagine being that stubborn....

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

I have two main ones. Please don't ask me what I am using...tie it on...and then make a brilliant cast. 4 feet from my cast. Really?

And for the love of God....if I make a comment about something, quit trying to top it. Seriously just let it be. I hate it when someone 1 ups all the time.

Ok...three. Do NOT Litter. I will make you swim to pick it up. Waders or no.
Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Float rodders...and the float rodder dance.

Here in SW Ontario...Float rodders are the dominate style of fishers on the waters. Fly rodders...are few though more of us are showing up.

Float rodders....have this dance....they all pick up at the same time....cast and drift long.....pick up, cast, drift....pick up, cast, drift. IF somebody hooks up....the line moves and allows the guy to move down with the fish. Of course, the line them moves to take over 'his' spot.

Fly rodding...don't mesh well with the float rodder dance. I hate the crowding...hate the drifts in front of me....LOVE kickin' their asses hooking fish and taking names!!!

King Joe, Outa Here!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It could be said that I've led a charmed life to some extent, I say it and I believe it true. Ever since I was a child all roads led to water and for almost 24 years a friend traveled many of them with me. We met in 1973 at the place where we both worked and by 1977 he began to go on fishing trips with me. Over all those years and all those rivers I can't say that anything about our fishing together bothered me. Anything that may have was turned into a matter for humor that we both could have a good laugh on. Even though I sometimes took the fishing very seriously as did he, we always found something to make fun of ourselves about. Not all trips turned out as we had hoped.

We took many long trips and during the hours on the road we pontificated the problems of our world and of our lives. We talked about everything that seemed to matter along with those that didn't, and we talked about fishing a lot

Since I left North central Pennsylvania in 2004 to the best of my understanding he has only went fishing a handful of times. He tells me that it just isn't the same. He says that "It wasn't really the fishing, it was the camaraderie that he enjoyed". He says I was the engine and that he enjoyed the ride.

I left Pennsylvania on a mission, I knew I would fish and that I would fish alone now without my old buddy. We stay in touch, I keep hoping that he will come here one day to see what I've found but this isn't for everyone. This place can be hostile with its weather and the rivers are a challenge in more ways than one. I don't know if we'll fish here together or not but if we do it'll be a good day. Until that day he says that he lives a life on the rivers vicariously through me................
stenacron and duker like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It could be said that I've led a charmed life to some extent, I say it and I believe it true. Ever since I was a child all roads led to water and for almost 24 years a friend traveled many of them with me. We met in 1973 at the place where we both worked and by 1977 he began to go on fishing trips with me. Over all those years and all those rivers I can't say that anything about our fishing together bothered me. Anything that may have was turned into a matter for humor that we both could have a good laugh on. Even though I sometimes took the fishing very seriously as did he, we always found something to make fun of ourselves about. Not all trips turned out as we had hoped.

We took many long trips and during the hours on the road we pontificated the problems of our world and of our lives. We talked about everything that seemed to matter along with those that didn't, and we talked about fishing a lot

Since I left North central Pennsylvania in 2004 to the best of my understanding he has only went fishing a handful of times. He tells me that it just isn't the same. He says that "It wasn't really the fishing, it was the camaraderie that he enjoyed". He says I was the engine and that he enjoyed the ride.

I left Pennsylvania on a mission, I knew I would fish and that I would fish alone now without my old buddy. We stay in touch, I keep hoping that he will come here one day to see what I've found but this isn't for everyone. This place can be hostile with its weather and the rivers are a challenge in more ways than one. I don't know if we'll fish here together or not but if we do it'll be a good day. Until that day he says that he lives a life on the rivers vicariously through me................
YOU need to do everything you can to get him up to AK to fish, he enjoys the ride, take him on another ride.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
YOU need to do everything you can to get him up to AK to fish, he enjoys the ride, take him on another ride.
I have to agree. I could see it doing you both some good. Nothing like sharing the water again with a long time friend and fellow fisherman.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Monofilament on the bank is a peeve.
Needs to be a good way to dispose of it; seems to crawl out of a pocket, so I always end up wondering if it was thrown down or dropped by accident.
I fish alone 99% of time. When I travel to fish I want to get up and go when I want, fish where I want, and lie to myself about them.