The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Monofilament on the bank is a peeve.
Needs to be a good way to dispose of it; seems to crawl out of a pocket, so I always end up wondering if it was thrown down or dropped by accident.
It turns up everywhere, you have to wind it up into a tight package and tie it together with its self. If you think of it, place a few wire bread bag ties in a pocket or fly wallet to bind mono with. It will stay in a pocket if it's bound up tight & small.

If I have any waste when changing a leader I use my nippers and cut it into pieces of about 6". I don't worry about them, they are almost invisible and no animal can get tangled in just a short piece. I pick up big wads of it when I find them and carry them back to the boat and eventually to a proper disposal.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It turns up everywhere, you have to wind it up into a tight package and tie it together with its self. If you think of it, place a few wire bread bag ties in a pocket or fly wallet to bind mono with. It will stay in a pocket if it's bound up tight & small.
If I have any waste when changing a leader I use my nippers and cut it into pieces of about 6". I don't worry about them, they are almost invisible and no animal can get tangled in just a short piece. I pick up big wads of it when I find them and carry them back to the boat and eventually to a proper disposal.
Ard
Good suggestion about the twist ties. Guess one irritating characteristic of mono is it doesn't degrade. It just lies there for decades, reminding everyone that humans can be slobs - and that slobs were there fishing ahead of you.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road

Another good way to store mono you pick up is in a Pringles can.
A buddy showed me this trick. When fishing all day he buys a small can (the half size tube) of Pringles. He slices an X in the flexible lid after he finishes them.

Just wad up used fishing line and jam it through the X. The flexible lid will keep the mono and stuff from popping back out the container and the small tube can be stored in a pocket. Just toss the can and buy more Pringles. This tip only seems to work if you buy Pringles like I do.....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
Hardyreels, fysh, chechem and 1 others like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperhopper View Post
Another good way to store mono you pick up is in a Pringles can.
A buddy showed me this trick. When fishing all day he buys a small can (the half size tube) of Pringles. He slices an X in the flexible lid after he finishes them.
Just wad up used fishing line and jam it through the X. The flexible lid will keep the mono and stuff from popping back out the container and the small tube can be stored in a pocket. Just toss the can and buy more Pringles. This tip only seems to work if you buy Pringles like I do.....
I'll use this. I fish lots in the Caribbean, and Pringles are a favorite snack there. Almost every guide boat has both Pringles and garbage mono; I plan to put them together as you suggested. Thanks.
fysh and waterfordcreek like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

1) fishing a spot and another fisher comes up right next to you. This goes against fishing etiquette
2) people who don't wade quietly, like the ones who sound like they are throwing boulders in the water as they wade
3) developed this one on last trip. Knowing you are fishing in the early morning, your bud sleeps late (not the issue) but wakes to have a scavenger hunt for thier gear cause its scattered everywhere, then wants to rig everything before seeing the situation, then ties a fly cause they can't find the one they want. If its not a last minute decision to fish, get all your stuff together before its time to hit the water
Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM

browell7 is on a distinguished road

When my buddies show up late because of too much drinking the night before and thier hung over. I don't get out fishing enough to have time for that ****.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

This isn't specifically a buddy pet peeve (although fishing buddy's have done this to me) so I apologize in advance.

The thing that bothers me the most is when random people come talk to you while you are fly fishing and they stand to the right of you. If you watch someone fly fishing for more than 2 seconds, you should know that that is NOT the place you want to stand, for either of your conveniences.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 AM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
This isn't specifically a buddy pet peeve (although fishing buddy's have done this to me) so I apologize in advance.

The thing that bothers me the most is when random people come talk to you while you are fly fishing and they stand to the right of you. If you watch someone fly fishing for more than 2 seconds, you should know that that is NOT the place you want to stand, for either of your conveniences.
I usually just ask them to come around to my left side so we can keep talking while I fish.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM

parsond is on a distinguished road

I love fishing alone, I love fishing with others, I love talking to new people on the water, I think most fishermen are pretty darn interesting.

Pet peeve....

people who are to good to talk to the rest of us simple folk while on the water.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I love talking to other people as well, but it's pretty obvious what side of me you should stand on.
Hardyreels likes this.