The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM

popperhopper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Peeve's.............

Not a Buddy Pet Peeve....but a new pet peeve all the same. One that I found out today in fact.

Anyone that canoes OVER my fly line. And waves to me at the same time.
Somehow I am now using invisible floating fly line....because they explained to me they did not see it.....
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Pet Peeve's.............

No problem with boaters floating the Rogue River .... but charging up through a hole with bank angler's fishing, in a 21 foot jet boat, I could do without. Odd part was for years a 'understanding' that motorized boats didn't go beyond a given section of the river.

Bankies couldn't get there anyway, all yours. From Tou Ville Park (save for drift boats) up it was 'all ours.' Then one Guide said 'screw this.' Game over ....
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

When fishing with a buddys who are in-experianced anglers, and everything you catch is wrote up in there book as luck. (I never say anything, but it sort of feels like a stab in the heart, when you got to tie all the knots.....ect)

The only thing I really find more frustrating, is when the same in-experienced angler ends up catching the monster. I guess in fishing there is always a mixture of both luck and acquired skill, the line that divides the two ends of the spectrum can sometimes be awfully thin.

I do know people, who consistently outfish me (one of them is my younger brother), and I always give him credit for his abilities.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

My fishing buddy died two weeks ago. I can think of no little stuff that bothers me this night.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
My fishing buddy died two weeks ago. I can think of no little stuff that bothers me this night.
Sorry to hear that, My prayers tonight will be out to you and his family.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged View Post
When fishing with a buddys who are in-experianced anglers, and everything you catch is wrote up in there book as luck. (I never say anything, but it sort of feels like a stab in the heart, when you got to tie all the knots.....ect)

The only thing I really find more frustrating, is when the same in-experienced angler ends up catching the monster. I guess in fishing there is always a mixture of both luck and acquired skill, the line that divides the two ends of the spectrum can sometimes be awfully thin.

I do know people, who consistently outfish me (one of them is my younger brother), and I always give him credit for his abilities.
Counterpoint:

I get a much bigger thrill putting new anglers on good fish than I do catching them myself. Seeing someone land their first trout on a fly rod is as good as it gets.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
Counterpoint:

I get a much bigger thrill putting new anglers on good fish than I do catching them myself. Seeing someone land their first trout on a fly rod is as good as it gets.
First, my heart breaks at the lose of a close friend. At days short of 71 I don't have many left?

But the 'Newbie' doing a WOOZER!! is crispt and clean. A life event?

Or not?

The individual, me thinks.

fae
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I would rather guide friends than fish (with them)...

a good lunch beats biggest fish everytime ...

I always have more flies than I could ever need...usually already tied up into droppers...

I dont ever want to hear about life outside of the stream...at least on the stream...at the tail gate its all good...but lets talk angling on the water...

so this is sort of my pet peeve...and fall back...

also sorry to hear of losing a friend...I lost a close pal last year...and think of him every day...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac ą linne, slat ą coille is fiadh ą fģreach - mčirle ąs nach do ghabh gąidheal riamh nąire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 01-26-2014, 11:31 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So I experienced many pet peeves in one session yesterday with one specific angler. I have literally never been this frustrated with one single person.To the point I either wanted to tell him he had one of two options.

1) Either let me give a few pointers
or
2) Get off the water.

We got up at 3:30AM yesterday and headed up to the Blue below Dillon reservoir. Knowing it could possibly be combat fishing on a Saturday we were on the river before sun up. Any way bout 9:30 AM the rivers crowded up. For those here who know the Blue will know exactly what I mean, but for those that dont let me set the stage. The water is crystal clear, maybe two feet deep and massive trout feed on shrimp coming out of the reservoir. I would say the average trout is in the 18" range and 22-24" + fish are not uncommon. Also it is heavily fished so these fish are spooky. It is such a difficult fishery due to conditions and pressure I literally wont cast to a fish unless I see it is feeding.

Anyway I come up the side of the river thats about 50-60' wide and a run of 150 feet in length or so. There is a angler on the other side so I watch my bank and see tons of fish within 5-7 feet of the bank. Normally I would never fish so close to someone else but crowds limited options and I felt I would be fishing no where near where his water was. After watching fish for about 5 minutes I decided which fish I was going to fish to. Well new guy must have realized I saw fish because boom he wades in to the water and starts casting to where I am. I move up river 20' or so after giving a few dirty looks. A few minutes later I hook a nice 18" rainbow and I move up river another 20' to net him. Literally as I am removing the hook from the fishes mouth this chowder heads strike indicator and rig about lands in my net and he has came all the way out in the river almost to the side of the river I was on.
Not only that he was throwing what seemed to be a thingamabobber the size of a ping pong ball making a god awful racquet. Literally every back cast and forward cast resulted in the loudest bobber slap you can imagine. So as he is trying to cast to where I was fishing his backcast was slapping the water so the guys below him had to leave.
There is a difference between being new and inexperienced and flat out dense. I was so perturbed I couldn't believe it. I wanted to go offer some assistance and advice on reading the water, where the fish lay and eat etc etc except I didn't want to come off as a know it all.

Ok rant over but now I know why I like to hike at least a mile before I enter the water.

Yesterday reminded me of the quote from the movie young guns 2 that says "encumbered by idgets we pressed on" . Now I know why I dont fish places like the blue very often.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

People that whine about state workers being allowed to wear felt when fishermen can't