The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about
Default socks over sock foot waders?

A newbie question I have - after looking through a search it seems riptide is the only one to perhaps answer for me but what do others do?

Do you wear socks over stocking foot waders? I understand wearing socks inside the waders but should one put on another sock on the outside of the wader before putting on your wading shoes?

Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: socks over sock foot waders?

Hi Jim,

Back when ultra light waders were made by & like the Red Ball lightweight wader, these had only a thin vinyl coated nylon stocking foot. It was at that time recommended that you wear a heavy sock over the wader foot to avoid gravel punctures. With todays neoprene booties and gravel guards on waders I don't do this any longer.

Ard
mcnerney, fredaevans and BigJim2x like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Ard. I watched an old video Anatomy of a Trout Stream and you could see Hafele was wearing socks. Being that was filmed in the '70s that makes sense.

Jim
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You're welcome,

When I first saw stocking foot waders they were 100% pure rubber called Seal Dri, made by The Wichita Canvas Company in Kansas. They were brown and were made of the stuff of an inner tube but a tad heavier. With those the hunting socks were mandatory, this was circa 1976 in my part of the world at the time, PA. I bought a pair and they were a step up from my heavy old boot foot Rangers and the sneaker like wading shoes made you much more agile. I have been wearing them ever since and have not fell in a river or creek yet while wearing lightweight waders and a good wading shoe - boot.

Soon after the Seal Dri (maybe 1977) came the Red Ball waders I described earlier. This outfit also sold wading shoes that were like a high top sneaker with what is now called aqua stealth soles. I used one pair for 10 years. These were made in the 1970's before the age of "planned obsolescence" came to us. Now days 4 years for a pair of 200 dollar boots is considered good wear.................... The Red Ball wader shoes sold for 21.99 back then.

Times change, and we go with the flow I guess,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I always wear socks over my stocking foots.
Not only does it cushion the neoprene from pebbles and sand, but it also help to protect it from any rubbing that will compress the material and ultimately cause leaks.
Why everyone doesn't understand this is a mystery to me
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

This is very interesting. This is the first time I have ever heard of this.
Sounds like a good idea. I wear heavy wool blend socks under the wader sock to keep my feet warm. The issue is I always buy my waders to one size larger..I wear a 10 so buy an 11 to allow the socks and wader socks to fit into the wading shoe.
If I wear socks over the wader sock, I am not sure I could put my shoes on.
Do you guys that do this wear a thin sock and is there a certain material you use?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiff View Post
T
Do you guys that do this wear a thin sock and is there a certain material you use?
I use old crew or boot socks. It's like wearing a liner sock with your hiking boots