The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM

ja501 is on a distinguished road
Default Secret flies

I just finished Dynamic Nyphing and have a question. The author tells about his times on the competitive fly fishing circuit. One thing really stood out about the selection of flies that many anglers use. When you look in the boxes of anglers from all over the world there are no secret flies in their arsenal. Now I know from my own personal experience that certain variations although small can make a slow fishing day be a great day. Things like changing the color of the zebra midge to a color that's not all that common or tying hot spots on scuds and sow bugs. My question is do you guys and ladies have secret patterns that you won't find in mainstream fly selections?

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You donít have to eat the ball to have a good time.
~ Anonymous
Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Secret flies

Hi,

Yes I do, not really a secret but just things I learned to wrap onto a hook that catch fish. Once proven they became my flies. With my old dry flies when I lived in Pennsylvania I tied the old style patterns and they worked great so I wasn't so inventive. But for streamer fishing I experimented.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja501 View Post

My question is do you guys and ladies have secret patterns that you won't find in mainstream fly selections?
Absolutely.
madjoni and dean_mt like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

love attractors
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My secret flies are just variations of mainstream patterns. The flies could use different types of dubbing, ribbing, flash, hook, fur, or feather. They could be tied buggier or sparser.
bigjim5589, mcnerney and webrx like this.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and that's about all I have to say about that.

Dave
madjoni and stenacron like this.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I'm currently reading Bob Wyatt's book, What Trout Want, which is pretty much the antithesis to the secret fly theory, generally speaking.

So, I'm now leaning towards not believing that my secret flies are anything special, but rather that my confidence and resulting superior efforts towards correct presentation with them have helped a lot.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Mosca and I agree on this one (surprised?), i generally vary standard flies to something that works for me, sometimes it is a little flash, sometimes a different color body, sometimes a different hackle or tail, but generally variations on a working theme to make them better for the fish in my area.

Be aware though, that what works in one area may not work in another.....

d
mcnerney likes this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

George came and spoke to my fly fishing club at PSU and he made it very clear that in a majority of the time its all about how you present the fly to the fish. He told a story of how when he was young fishing with Joe Humphry's he could catch a fish one day and was blaming the fly... Joe told him its not the fly its you George. Thats what he means when he says there is not secret fly its just the presentation of the fly the reading of the water. If there was a "secret fly" someone would be cashing in big.
mcnerney and biggie_robs like this.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not my policy to confirm nor deny the presence of any secret flies in any boxes I may or may not own.