The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default how light is too light?

I want a smaller weight rod to primarily bream fish with, and secondarily catch trout with. So I got to looking at a TFO Left Kreh finesse series rod and saw that they had a 0.5 wt rod! So how light is too light? How big of a fly could this handle? Would this be too light to catch bream on? Crappie?

What would be a good light weight rod to fit my needs

Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: how light is too light?

hey drc,
i have a 6'6" 2 weight rod that i use for only a couple applications, gills in a small stream being #1

casey

ARFE
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

My understanding is that TFO's "half weight" rod is best suited to a 2wt line.

If I were fishing for bream around Jackson, I'd probably look for a long graphite 2 or 3wt, but that's because I'd be fishing my uncles farm ponds in Scott County most of the time--I'd have no backcasting problems. If you're fishing brushy areas, you might not want to go with a long rod, in which case a shorter glass rod might be nice, again I'd suggest a 2-3wt.

I'm curious where you're doing your trout fishing? Trips up to Arkansas?

I doubt that an UL rod is appropriate for the big-name Arkansas tailwaters, but I have no experience with those fisheries, so I'll let others speak to that.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I've come across pictures and blogs of a niche group of fly guys that fish for "macros" usually meaning minnow species... some minnows are brilliantly colored but only eat the tiniest of nymphs...
Old 04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A wt. rod? I'd call that the text book definition of to light. For any reason.
turbineblade and troutnut4 like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I have a TFO Finesse 2wt and have caught big bluegill and lots of trout on it. Works really well and can throw small streamers (size 10 simi seals) 40 feet without TOO much effort. Dries can be thrown a bit farther. And it's a true 2wt. It bends nicely with a 9" bluegill on, but has the backbone to haul them away from reeds.

The lightest rod I know of being made was a Sage (I believe a TXL) 0000 wt. Lightest line weight recognized by the AFTMA was how I heard it.
yonder likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I have an invisible rod with no wt at all; I catch fish so small they're invisible. Usually in the deepest of winter.
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I don't think that's a true .5 weight (whatever that means). Most reviewers preferred 2-3wt line.

Plenty of fly fisherman use ultralight tackle on large trout, bass, and other species. There are as many good reasons to fish light tackle as there are myths dispelling them. I doubt I'll ever need a 000 Sage TXL but it would sure be fun to try one.

The biggest myth is that light rods kill fish in a fight. Today's modern graphite rods are incredibly strong and you can quickly play even large fish on very light tackle.

Depending on the water and fishing conditions, only you can say what is too light. I routinely fish a 2 wt where my partners fish 5wts and think I'm nuts. I've landed big fish on UL rods but I typically target small trout and panfish.

If you don't have a 1-2 wt, I'd start there. My Echo Carbon 2wt 7'3" is my favorite rod. But if you want a lighter rod, give it a shot. You might just like it. I'd probably go with a different, a more true, 0wt though.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

In the past few months my 16yr-old son got it in his head that he needs a 2wt outfit -( he's already got decent 3,4,5,and 7wt outfits ) - by the time he researched and settled on something I would consider pretty expensive (almost $800), I had tried to talk him out of it ( think of all the other things you could do with that money )as well as "what are you gonna do when you hook a big fish?" - but he made up his mind and had a bunch of cash he had saved up - it's also the same outfit that a guide buddy of his uses - he just got it last week and has already landed some good size fish - what do I know(?) - it is a pretty sweet set up, though, casts and feels great, and he loves it - Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
In the past few months my 16yr-old son got it in his head that he needs a 2wt outfit -( he's already got decent 3,4,5,and 7wt outfits ) - by the time he researched and settled on something I would consider pretty expensive (almost $800), I had tried to talk him out of it ( think of all the other things you could do with that money )as well as "what are you gonna do when you hook a big fish?" - but he made up his mind and had a bunch of cash he had saved up - it's also the same outfit that a guide buddy of his uses - he just got it last week and has already landed some good size fish - what do I know(?) - it is a pretty sweet set up, though, casts and feels great, and he loves it - Click the image to open in full size.
You are a lucky man! I hope my son wants to save $800 and buy fly fishing gear at 16! Sounds like a good young man.

The expense of UL gear is a pet peeve of mine. I'm thankful to Cabela's, Echo, Redington, and TFO for making affordable UL rods.
yonder likes this.