The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ditz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:51 PM

hogtime is on a distinguished road
Default Bwca

Does anyone fish the BWCA?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bwca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtime View Post

Does anyone fish the BWCA?
Might have to shed the acronym for a first pass here.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-21-2013, 11:49 PM

mn steelheader will become famous soon enough

I've fished the BWCA for about 15 years and Quetico as well. I mostly target smallies, 'eyes and lakers with brookies on the fringe. Lots of good water up there and some with very little pressure. A lot can be taken on the fly, especially during june and july. Grand slam four species potential all over the place. Let me know what your goals are and maybe we can trade info.

Scott
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I did many years ago. There was some good fishing too. Fished SMB for fun and walleye for food. We always took in a small group of up to 8. Make sure you have a good sleeping bag and rain gear and DEET. We wore hooded sweatshirts around the campfire at nite to keep the skeeters off and still had to dope our hands and face. Be prepared for at least one cold day even in the middle of summer. None of my group fly fished so I never did. Everything you take you must carry several times across portages and some of them are rough and steep though many are well traveled. Take only what you need, not what you want.

One word of advise.....Follow all rules and laws. Fines are steep and you get few 2nd chances. Other than personal gear, if it don't burn don't take it. NO GLASS CONTAINERS.

We always went out of Crane Lake and thru Lac LaCroix. An outfitter dropped us off at Twin Falls and picked us up at the same spot at a prescheduled time. I actually prefered the camping to a lodge stay in the same area. The camp chores kinda breaks up the fishing time. I doubt that I will ever get back up there but I would like to fish the Iron Lake area. It is a little more off the beaten track. Most visitors to the BWCA are paddler, not fishermen, so the fishing gets little pressure. At least that is the way it used to be. Everybody should do it at least once and that is coming from a city boy.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Might have to shed the acronym for a first pass here.
Joe

I had no idea where BWCA was either so out of curiousity I did a Google and found that he is talking about the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCA). Maybe some other members that have been there can provide some additional assistance.

Larry

Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

In previous years I had made many trips but haven't been back for about 15 years. On Ram Lake I landed a 26" Rainbow. Mostly Walleye, Smallmouth and Northern throughout the area.

Was there a specific question or just general?

Some of the perimeter lakes you can use a small motor, the interior is paddle only. You need an entry permit even for a day trip - my understanding is the day permits are easy to come by, entry permits are limited; when I was actively using the BWCA I would plan 3 or 4 trips a year and send in an application for entry with dates and duration in February so that I would get the permits I wanted.

Ram Lake was one of the entry points and little used because at the time it was a 1/4 mile uphill portage from the parking lot. The last time I entered there they were building a new parking lot closer to the lake so I don't know how it is now but then it was some of the best fishing I've ever had.

Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I also fish the BWCA, but would need to see a specific question if there is any.

edit -- Actually my avatar is of me in the BWCA now that I look at it. Good times.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I notice that the only responders actually live in the north not far from the BWA. During the years that I ventured back into the BWA I lived in ea3st central Indiana. It was a long drive. At least 12 hours as I recall. The sporting mags. used to have articles on the BWA with some regularity and there used to be several outfitters on the borders that would set you up with everything you need except your cloths and fishing gear. We always had our own gear so we only used an outfitter to get us to the kickoff location. There are no motors in the BWA or Quetico. You either walk or paddle and you better keep track of your location on a map. One seldom sees other folks while in the wilderness. You are basicly on your own. No float planes are allowed to land in there and I doubt if there is any cell phone service. GPS would be a great thing to have which was not available back when we paddled in. It was a great experiance. My first time in I took UL spinning and it worked great but I had to carry lots of extra line because of line twist. From then on I took a small light 2500c Mitchell bait caster and it was the nuts. Never had to change line during the trip and it would cast 1/8th oz baits with 6# mono spooled on the reel and light casting rod. I wished I had flyfished up there but I was the only flycaster of the bunch and it doesn't fit well with spinning a bait casters. ......this is where kevlar canoes would earn thier keep. We only had aluminum the canoe carrier toted 70 to 80# across the portages. I am not in good shape but I think I could still do it with kevlar. I would no longer attempt it with aluminum any longer.

One year on a long portage we met a guide and his fancy portaging the other direction. The guide was not a large man and weighed approx. 160#. The fancy was carrying a Diluth bag and some tackle in each hand. The guide was carring the aluminum canoe and had a Diluth bag on his back. He also had a Diluth bag on his chest. A hellava man. Our portages were always 2 trip affairs. These fellas were making it a one trip portage. I have lots of memorable experiances from those trip. I was one time within 100yards of the end of a gorgeous rainbow up there. .....There was no pot of gold however. ...The treasure was just being there.
mcnerney likes this.