The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Christening

Today I finally took my new XP I recently finished for a day of fishing. Felt real good. The reports for Rock Creek have been glowing lately, it's fishing like nuts, the March Brown hatch is in full swing. Then I got a first hand report last night from my friend that fishes up there a lot. So I set off this morning with the forecast calling for mid-40's and rain.

It was mid-40's and raining when I got there! Perfect. I walked up to the first hole and was contemplating tying on a nymph since it just didn't feel like dry fly weather yet. But walked into a puddle with number of duns resting on it, a closer look and they were all over the rocks too. It was good flying weather I guess.

Click the image to open in full size.

A few sporadic rises across the run grew into more steady feeding as the hatch picked up. I picked off a handful of browns, rainbows and a beautiful little cutty in rich spawning colors. It's slashes were ox blood red, really amazing. Then some fool with no stream etiquette crosses over behind me and proceeds to head up to the top of the run and start fishing! This isn't a huge hole, it was clearly within the water I was fishing. He just couldn't resist with all the rising fish I reckon. Still, lame.

I fished through cold wind, calm with sun, rain, hard rain, sun and then a little snow. I left my spot and new fishing buddy behind to fish the hole in front of my friend's property. I expected the hatch to be over and intended on testing the rod with a streamer. But the water was really rolling with fish taking the duns that couldn't get off the water in the cold drizzle. They were fluttering like caddis flies and the fish loved it. As did I!

I found one more lazy brown behind a tree root hole that took a well placed heavy nymph. It went just to 16", a nice fish for the end of the day.

I love this 9'6" 5wt XP. I was thrilled with how it cast. I haven't chosen a line for it yet so I threw on my 6wt just to get out and fish it. I'm looking forward to casting a couple different 5wt lines on it soon. I'm also pretty happy with the build. It ain't perfect, but it's mine! I'm most bummed about the cork filler.

A great Christening for the rod of worked on most of the late winter / early spring.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The Christening

Hey john,

Great looking rod & fish, your Western March Brown is more similar to what we called the Gray Fox in the north of Pennsylvania. The photos are all good and it's swell to hear you're getting out to fish.

Here........... soon I think, soon.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine just told me one of the guys from fisheries walked out on Millacs Lake today and drilled a hole. 32" of good hard ice buried in a lot of snow. There is no way that it will be open water by fishing opener, and they are South of me by 4 hours and quite a bit warmer. I may need therapy soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ard.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Awesome rod; you won't notice the cork filler when it's all slimed and darker!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John: What a great way to christen the new fly rod, congrats on both a greaty looking fly rod and the awesome looking fish!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the story and photos. Well done.
I hope to get up your way during June (I won't ever be the guy with bad etiquette.)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Quote:
A friend of mine just told me one of the guys from fisheries walked out on Millacs Lake today and drilled a hole. 32" of good hard ice buried in a lot of snow. There is no way that it will be open water by fishing opener, and they are South of me by 4 hours and quite a bit warmer. I may need therapy soon.
That is one of the hazards to living in the great north woods. You have some great fishing up there but the season is short and the winters are hard. I have a feeling that you know this better than I. ....You would consider our winter fishing here in middle TN as early summer or late spring. I don't even own a heavy winter coat and mostly wear an insulated hooded sweatshirt. When it gets really cold I toss on a windbreaker or rain jacked over the sweatshirt. Many folks are now wearing shorts but IMHO it is still a little cool for that. I guess I am just a sissy
Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the rod John, looks good and I agree with Wannafish, given a little time the cork filler will stain to match the cork. Great pics and story, can't think of a better way to break in a new rod.

Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks guys. It was great day of fishing. Only a couple fish pushed 14" but there were a lot of the foot long variety.