The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 PM

lacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nicelacanadio is just really nice
Default Re: Gear Purchase Confessions

My stock answer to this dilemma: buy her a new toy first, then buy yours. It's worked for me with skis and fishing gear. Every time...hope it continues .
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Of all the things you can hope for throughout your life, being understood by your wife, friends and etc is probably one that would be a good thing. I have had a charmed life of sorts and when I met Nancy she knew I was a salmon fisherman. Our first date was a trip for tide water salmon.

She took this picture that day.
Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

just go to the closet, and count the number of pocketbooks/purses/shoes (I CANNOT count that high), sweaters with just the slightest change in color (they all look red to me), etc., etc., and then look at her and go "whut's the problem?". I also get home before the wife does most days, and then throw the new toy in the truck for a later day. LOL. We have seperate accts as well, with the bills divided between us.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I'm a lucky man, because whenever I buy a new piece of fly gear (which seems to be frequently these days) she just smiles and shakes her head. She's always entertained by my feeble excuses--"Honey, this was a $700 rod that was on sale for $500! It's a deal!"

Plus which I have the ultimate all-purpose rationalization to justify buying pretty much anything you want: it's not like you're going to be lying on your deathbed thinking "man, I shouldn't have bought that fly rod." Warning: frequent use of this rationalization can be hazardous to your bank account.

Scott
shotgunfly and runningfish like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

My wife and I have a familiar routine:

Her: The UPS guy just showed up with a strange-shaped package addressed to you.

Me: Sweetie, you know I have enemies. Carefully carry that back to my den and then slowly back away.

Her: If it's dangerous, I should probably throw it in the ravine and call the police.

Me: No, no, tossing it into the ravine could set it off.

Her: I love you.

Me: I love you too
diamond rush and shotgunfly like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Give and you shall receive.

My wife is a budding long distance runner. First marathon this year.

I encourage her to run races. I drive or arrange flights, take photos, run water bottles. Pamper her there, during and back. I drop the occasional gift certificate to her favorite sports stores and flowers.

She encourages me to buy whatever I want and fish whenever I want.

We mutually have no interest in doing the other's favorite hobby. But we're committed to supporting each other.

It also helps that I make pretty good money in freelance and can blow that any way I like. Part of which is of course on her ;-)
plecain and duker like this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

This is so totally a guy thing. Being in the tackle biz for 20 years and into shotguns and such I have come up with so many ways to "bring" things home and have so much stuff she has no clue what's new, old or holding for a guy.

I use to keep the old vacum bags with dust so I could use it to put on stuff to make look like I had it for years. I use to coach guys on how to sneak stuff into the house. Since I own my own business (non-tackle) I have stuff sent to my shop.

Craig
Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
I'm a lucky man, because whenever I buy a new piece of fly gear (which seems to be frequently these days) she just smiles and shakes her head. She's always entertained by my feeble excuses--"Honey, this was a $700 rod that was on sale for $500! It's a deal!"

Plus which I have the ultimate all-purpose rationalization to justify buying pretty much anything you want: it's not like you're going to be lying on your deathbed thinking "man, I shouldn't have bought that fly rod." Warning: frequent use of this rationalization can be hazardous to your bank account.

Scott
My best line is "I got it on Ebay for 60% off!!!" I never ever ever ever mentioned a $ amount to my wife. It cost me a new Samsung Galaxy S5 or S4 the last time she found out I bought a Zenith 8wt.
shimloom likes this.