The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

long bow will become famous soon enough
Default Gear Purchase Confessions

I don't know if this sort of thread already exists but I can't be the only one with this problem:

I have an addiction to fly-fishing. That being said, its in my best interest to never leave a paper trail (receipts) or have UPS drop off packages when my bride is home. I have even lowered myself to shipping a few "must haves" to a friends house. One of these days I fear my antics will be dragged kicking and screaming into the light when I casually say "yeah, I've got all that stuff" and I'm greeted with a "WHAT?!"
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gear Purchase Confessions

I smuggle new tying materials in the house in my pockets. Definitely try to hide new rods also!
Snowing again... might have to get some new supplies!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:15 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

I am one of those lucky few that gets home from work more than an hour before my wife(she has to run reports after the stock markets close). And the Fedex guy, for some reason, thinks that our back door is the front door so she may not even see it if I am real late for some reason.

There is someone on here with a signature block that includes the following quote:

"My greatest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell all my rifles and rods for what I told her I paid for them."

I married an Accountant so there are many things that don't end up "on the books".

I'm fairly sure she doesn't know the address to this site...
tbblom and runningfish like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all

Try opening a small on-line fly shop from your home, then you can tell her that you ordered " it " ( whatever it is ) for a customer.

The fact that it’s been in your possession for over a year and the customer hasn’t coming calling for it yet, is immaterial.
You’ll find that you’ll need to order a great many things, in order to keep abreast of the latest developments in your profession. As they arrive, display them proudly and show each to her. Explain that someday, she'll reap the rewards of these early minimal investments ... and that you are only doing this to protect her long term financial security. Remember always, you’re doing this for her.

TT

Addendum
She should be impressed, tearful even that you’re so inspired as a provider. “Just look at how many hours he has to put in at this second job when he comes home.”
He’s slaving away, pouring through fly fishing catalogs, conducting market research and developing customer leads by spending every remaining waking hour on fly fishing websites.
Yes indeed, she’s married a real go getter !
lthrnk03, recriger and long bow like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

^^^^
this is very true, since I recently started guiding, I get to call any form of tying, fishing, or recon as 'work'.
for example: "sorry sweetie, I gotta get back to work tying these hare's ears up! The trout and the clients just love them!"
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I never... okay, rarely was not up front with my wife about getting new gear. A friend of mine had a slippery way of getting things through spousal inspection. First, he never told her he got expense account reimbursements. That was his fun money. His next trick was to throw a small fit because he couldn't find that 'old' driver (that's a golf club for those of you who got this fly fishing bug bad!) His wife then went bananas looking for that club and when she found it in the closet he sighed a sigh of relief (and at the same time unknown to her introduced her to his new toy)
I used to call the wife and say I NEED a new fly rod. "Don't you already have some" was her usual reply. I went on to say why I needed a such-and-such a weight rod and that besides, I wasn't out drinking, smoking or snorting the funds up and that saved us a ton of money.
This worked for quite a few cycles until one day I went through the same 'I don't drink, smoke or snort the money up routine and she said, 'well neither do I'!
Shoot! Busted!
biggie_robs and tbblom like this.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Have three checking accounts:

Ours: Pays the monthly bills for 'normal' things.

Hers: She can buy what she wants. You get to comment only if asked.

Yours: Your play money. Reverse the rules under 'Hers'.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Wife says 'Michael, what can you catch with THIS many rods that you can not catch with just ONE rod ?'

I replied 'Hell, mostly'
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Wives don't get it. Mine is still working and when she left this morning she asked what I was doing today. When I said "nothing" she was upset.

"That's what you did yesterday!" she said.

"Yeah, but I didn't get finished" was not the explanation she was looking for.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:03 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

when ever a bunch of tubes and boxes show up my wife
gives me a quick eye roll and says, "these are for sale, right?"
which is met with "of course they are hun"

casey

ARFE