The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone trending upward in rod weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I guess "intended species" is a good thing to consider, but honestly I probably lean more toward "intended flies and conditions" now.
"Intended flies and condition" is generally in direct correlation with intended species. If I am out fishing for bluegill, I know that most of my flies are going to be pretty darn small so the 2 of 4wt are gonna generally be my choices. If I am throwing tiny dry flies for them in a small creek or pond, then the 2 will probably be my main choice. If I plan on throwing some "bigger" poppers, I'll use the 4.

If I am chasing smallies, I'll be using weighted clousers or some smaller deer hair poppers so the 6 is my usual rod for that. If conditions are extra windy or if I am throwing bigger poppers, I'll generally throw the 8 instead. Same goes for large mouth.

My point is that intended species and intended flies generally go together.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

With tons of trout water surrounding me and then the Mississippi River and lakes in the area... I need a lot of different tools for the right job... I own a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7/8, 9, 10/11... All have their own place and time
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have to say I too have a rod weight for every possible situation I face for the fish I chase. 2 x 3wts , 2 x 5wts, 1 x 4,6,7,8wt. Seems to get the job done.

Craig
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
With tons of trout water surrounding me and then the Mississippi River and lakes in the area... I need a lot of different tools for the right job... I own a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7/8, 9, 10/11... All have their own place and time
I think it sounds sage to say something along the lines of the "tool for every job" thing but I don't actually believe it. Honestly, an average
moderate action 5-weight fly rod will protect the lightest tippet you might want to use making anything smaller not so much a "tool" as just as "personal preference" -- and don't get me wrong, I own a great little 3-weight. I enjoy it occasionally, but I honestly wouldn't consider it a tool for any particular job -- it's just a toy to me. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's fun, but its "utility" is basically just a subsection of what my 5-weight already does.

And then for my waters and targets, an 8-weight does just about everything I need...minus brook trout. And honestly, brookies aren't line shy so far in my experience on the Dry River and the Rapidan, and if I really wanted to be a moron I could probably use the 8-weight for it. I know, driving nails with a sledge. That's how I got to thinking about it -- that's all.

And no, I don't really know anything and I haven't been fly fishing my whole life. I'm often wrong and shouldn't be taken seriously, my wife learned that a long time ago. I should also probably mention that I always fish 2 softhackles on a swing when I fish a new trout stream -- nymphing only comes if I don't get hits on the wets . Is this old and crotchety?

Good opinions -- thank you for the input!

Obviously the trend is toward lighter line weights, probably because the technology for rods/lines is so much better now -- I get it. I was just curious whether anyone either didn't jump on board with lighter rods, and/or outright rejects them . It sounds like a few folks have taken the former route. Luddites!

Last edited by turbineblade; 04-23-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:57 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

for me it just depends on where im fishing and what i need to use. i like to get some enjoyment out of my fish so if im fishing eight inch bluegills or 12 inch trout its gonna be my 3 or 4 wt. if im after 10 pound plus carp then its a 7 or 8. i could use a 7 for small trout and bluegill but why i wanna see the rod bend!
turbineblade likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

basically you can fish the world with a 5 wt and an 8wt. But at a push you can fish it all with the 8wt.
I fished 4 US states with only an 8 wt, catching small brookies in Maine, Rainbows and browns in Colorado, Pennsylvania and NY, and steelies and GL salmon in NY...

then i got the other rods.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-23-2013, 03:23 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

The problem I have with big rods like an 8wt for fish like blue gills, brookies, and other smaller fish is not so much presentation. In fact, I think it's quite well shown that you can make an 8wt work for anything. It may not give hte best presentation in the world, but it can still be done.

Instead, my problem comes in the fun factor. Catching a little blue gill or a 6" wild rainbow in the mountain blue line creeks of California is just plain old boring. It reminds me of using a bait casting reel that is spooled up with 60lb braid and attached to a 7' medium heavy broomstick for a 2lb bass. The initial hookset is fun simply because of the "take" which in all fairness is the pinnacle of the entire process to me. However, it is a plain old snooze fest after that. Skating this fish across the surface in record timing leaves nothing in the enjoyment bank.
turbineblade likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Heavy rods are great, I do still like my little rods for small brooks but on any real river I find myself using a big Spey rod even for trout and grayling fishing anymore. The idea that catching smaller fish on a heavy rod isn't fun is (in my experience) not accurate. When I catch a 12 - 14" fish using an 8 weight 13' rod with a 12 pound tippet I can just reel them in and quickly release them. The faster you can do this, the more fish you will be able to catch in a given period of time. When a nice one grabs the fly you are ready and there aren't many theatrics when you land them either.

I don't 'Fight Fish' I catch them.

Ard
turbineblade likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
No one has ever accused me of being trendy , but I was never into "toy" rods.
Same here. The way I look at them: Toys < 5 wt. > Real rods
turbineblade likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Same here. The way I look at them: Toys < 5 wt. > Real rods
My cut off is 4wt. They're a good size for dry flies, but I find that I don't need anything south of that.
I had a 3wt once, sold it.
Guest1 likes this.