The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone trending upward in rod weight? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/317403-anyone-trending-upward-rod-weight.html)

turbineblade 04-23-2013 08:58 AM

Anyone trending upward in rod weight?

Hi - I finally bought a decent 9', 8-weight fly rod and a nice orvis access reel to match with it. I also own a 3-weight, a 5-weight and a 6-weight.

After using it for bass/bluegill fishing and landing a fairly large blue catfish yesterday on it, I'm starting to rethink my attraction to the 3-weight and/or lighter rods in general. Even in instances where they might be most applicable.

Why? Versatility mostly. Even though the 3-weight is fun to mess around with and casts *most of my flies without any problem, the 8 weight will also do this but will also toss my #4-6 bead head, lead-weighted woolly buggers with ease. Or basically anything else I feel like fishing at the moment. Basically, I can do whatever I want with the 8-weight versus the other rods. Yesterday it also helped me beat the 15-25 mph winds on the river.

I often spot big carp and bass around here, and I could also see this providing an advantage here as well.

My only concern was whether the 8 weight would protect the lighter tippets I may use. Since I only use 4, 6 and 8 pound mono for leader/tippet, this doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I did some breakage tests even using my 4 pound maxima mono and the 8 weight had no issue with it...even with a good bend down to the handle like when you're putting muscle onto a fish.

Anyone else tend to fish "upward" of where the trend now is? I'm strongly considering just using this 8-weight for damn-near everything now :). People say the 5-6 weight is the most versatile, but I almost think a 7-8 really is. At least if you fish in warm water anyway.

dabluz 04-23-2013 09:27 AM

Re: Anyone trending upward in rod weight?

I heartily agree with you. I have a 7/8 weight and I'm very happy with it. I have been using this weight for over 40 years and have never felt "over gunned". If I want to cast tiny flies, I just use a finer tippet. If the conditions are super calm, I just lengthen my leader. I sometimes go down to 3/4 lb test tippet but mostly use 2 to 4 lb tippets.

I won a 9 weight outfit (Fenwick HMX and a Fenwick Nighthawk reel) in a local tournament and I'm anxious to try it out. I won it about 2 years ago and have not used it yet....lol. I plan to fish with big streamers for landlocked salmon this spring.

I have been fishing with a few fishermen who had 5 and 6 weight outfits and almost every one of them had complaints about being able to cast when it was a bit windy or when it was time to cast large flies.

However, I will buy a 5 weight 4 piece outfit someday. They are far from useless and are perfect for those calm evenings or mornings when the brook trout are rising to small mayflies.

Rip Tide 04-23-2013 09:31 AM

No one has ever accused me of being trendy :rolleyes:, but I was never into "toy" rods.

brookfieldangler 04-23-2013 09:49 AM

I don't know if I'd say that I am trending that way, but I do have rods in even numbers from 2 to 8 plus a 9.

It's all about intended species for me not necessarily the possible accidental catch.

turbineblade 04-23-2013 10:06 AM

I guess "intended species" is a good thing to consider, but honestly I probably lean more toward "intended flies and conditions" now.

I like heavy woolly buggers, clousers, and bulky poppers on occasion. I may catch mostly smaller bass/catfish about 90% of the time...but big flies are a lot of work on a 5/6 weight. The 8 weight does it with ease.

Interesting opinions -- everyone is a bit different on this it seems :)

fly_guy12955 04-23-2013 10:12 AM

No. I like lite tackle. I have two 5wt fast action rods,,a BVK and a Thomas and Thomas 'no sanctuary' ..they are my bass rods. They are the biggest rods I need. My trout rods are all 4wt or less.

s fontinalis 04-23-2013 10:16 AM

I started with 8wt, then 5, then three, then 6.

MoscaPescador 04-23-2013 10:19 AM

I have a range of rods from 3 weight to 12 weight. I use the right rod for the job.

shotgunfly 04-23-2013 10:54 AM

For me (out in the eastern appalachian mountains) the 5wt gets most of the work. Good range and with both a mid and full flex I have 2 good tools to cast nearly all of the sizes and patterns (beads/wire/feathers/hair) I need.

I step it up to a 6wt tip flex/streamer for larger/heavier bass fishing.
Further for carp/stripers/shad with a 7wt
I go down to 4wts and 3wts for brookies and pan fish.

I've been told that an 8'6" 4wt is the only rod you need around here. I see the logic in that.

So I guess I DO tend toward the heavier wt as my go to.

fredaevans 04-23-2013 10:56 AM

+1 to what MP just said. 'Horses for Courses' as the Brit's would say. A 10'' trout deserves a 3wt, a 30# King Salmon will take more than a bit of 'up-lining'