The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Hip waders or boots?

Anyone have a preference for a good set of hippers? I'm getting less interested in deeper wading due to annoyance and in some cases, potential hazards to my health . I really, really enjoy more shallow wading with hippers, but my last pair was a crappy set that wore out last year.

Anyone use hippers as their primary wading tool? Any tips?

Thanks,

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hip waders or boots?

I don't wade all that deep either at my age, so I use the waist high waders until the temps come up in the summer and then I use the SIMMS neoprene wading socks with my wading boots.
fly_guy12955 and yonder like this.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of the Hodgman canvas hippers that I've had "forever"
They're tough as barbed wire and convenient to use, but they're really only good after the water levels drop in mid May or so.

You know that old adage.....
Quote:
Hip boots are the best way to measure how deep the water was when you got wet.
biggie_robs likes this.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

How about pants waders? They are nice.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:37 PM

BigJim2x has a spectacular aura aboutBigJim2x has a spectacular aura about

Haven't gotten them wet yet but I ordered and received a pair of Patagonia new old stock hippers on ebay. I looked and Patagonia doesn't have any listed on there web site so I'm not certain, although they had tags including the H2no material. What caught my attention about them is they are stocking foot and have the built in gravel guard - they were also $50 less than the Orvis hip waders.

3 weeks ago I took a drive around the areas I want to start fishing in and all the creeks and streams were about sidewalk size. I figure hip waders will be practical and a lot more comfortable.

I'll keep my chest waders for the South Branch of the Root but they haven't been wet for 20 years although they have been stored in a cool dark dry place - I'm hoping they don't leak but with the hip waders at least it won't be imperative to replace them if they do.

Jim
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I wear wading 'pant' length waders now. Once your in water so high that it pushes on your core,,you can get in trouble in a hurry. Now that varies with the water, granted.
The trout streams I fish, near waste deep is plenty.

If I ever get to fish big water regularly, things might change but that's the limit I set now. I suppose good chest waders than you can fold down the top would be really the best option.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

I use both bootfoot hippers and stocking foot waders. The hippers are great if I'm not walking far and the water is low. They're quick to get into. One big drawback is that the rubber boot is far less supportive than wading boots so my feet ache if fish in them a long time or I walk a good distance. I wouldn't wear the hippers if I didn't know the water reasonably well. Stepping into a deep hole in hippers is a real adventure!!! Too, they are far more comfortable in warm weather than cold...
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Anyone have a preference for a good set of hippers? I'm getting less interested in deeper wading due to annoyance and in some cases, potential hazards to my health . I really, really enjoy more shallow wading with hippers, but my last pair was a crappy set that wore out last year.

Anyone use hippers as their primary wading tool? Any tips?

Thanks,

I thought about that for a long time when I was fishing smaller water, the kind of things you could cross dry if you were willing to walk a bit and a little rock hopping.

I eventually went with a good pair of "muck boots". What I found was it made me think a little more about what I was wading through and where I was fishing. Sometimes that little rock over hang in 8" of water IS the deep, sheltered, safe place in the immediate area.

Then again, a pair of neoprene stocking foots are still perking in the back of my mind. (The deciding factor on the "muck boots" approach was a really good deal at Bass Pro.)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I asked the same question at my local shop....hippers or wading pants. His logic was getting pants adds little material and it protects a pretty important area (who likes to feel like they wet themselves?)

I said, I want them to be light so I can packem in. He showed me a pair of SIMMS freestone pants...those were nice and light.

Haven't decided yet but my patagonia rio gallegios are too heavy to pack in for a long distance...

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 PM

aggieoutlaw will become famous soon enough

I use hip waders for 90% of my fishing. I primarily fish small headwater streams and small rivers. The water is too cold to wet wade. The outside temperature is too hot for full waders.

I had a pair of Chota Hippies. The concept was great! Convertible hip waders for any variety of needs. However, they started leaking around the knee seam. I returned them to Cabelas but they said it'd be a few months backorder to replace them. So, I opted for a pair of Frogg Toggs hip waders...time will tell. They were only $40 or so online. Compared to the Hippies which were more like $120.

Good luck!