The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever get one of those knots.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Most likely caused by tailing loops. Watch some casting videos and see if you can figure out what you are doing wrong.

It may just be that you are used to the faster 6wt and forget to adjust your cast for the softer 2wt.
Agree here, but would add just one extra thought: Leaders (tippet) is too light for the fluff you're chucking? Not enough 'Mass in the xxx' next to the fly. The point of tapered leaders to transfer the 'cast energy' from the rod, to the line, to the leader (which is getting smaller by the inch) to the fly. In that last bit of energy transition, you can hit a point of no return. Just isn't enough there to do the job?
fae
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-25-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Poor choice of words.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I find I have the same problem from time to time. Now "where's those clippers" End of problem.

Craig
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I often wonder why I can't tie a fly on that will hold as well as some of the knots I get in my leader. Why just yesterday that would have been two more trout I would have caught.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe you should just thread the eye of the hook then waive the line in the air a few times. You're bound to get a nice tight fly knot.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Agree here, but would add just one extra thought: Leaders (tippet) is too light for the fluff you're chucking? Not enough 'Mass in the xxx' next to the fly. The point of tapered leaders to transfer the 'cast energy' from the rod, to the line, to the leader (which is getting smaller by the inch) to the fly. In that last bit of energy transition, you can hit a point of no return. Just isn't enough there to do the job?
fae
Great point! Just the other day, I was fishing my 8wt and was getting bad tailing loops. First thought is what the heck am I doing wrong. Then I said duh, my tippet is probably too long. For saltwater I sometimes use 50lb butt, 30lb mid and 20lb tippet which turns over even large flies no problem. Sometimes I will just use a little 30lb as the butt and then 20lb tippet and it works fine, but not if the tippet is too long. When the tippet is long and "limp" it doesn't transfer the energy like the stiff butt does so it will collapse and cause a tailing loop.

Thanks for adding that Fred!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:41 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Ard:

I just think it has to do with my leader/tippet lengths or something like that.
This can happen if your tippet size and fly are mis-matched. For example, if you're trying to cast size 8-10 flies w/ 6X tippet (or too long a tippet) you will tie some knots while casting.

Matching the fly to tippet is often over-looked.
leithel likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Most likely caused by tailing loops. Watch some casting videos and see if you can figure out what you are doing wrong.

It may just be that you are used to the faster 6wt and forget to adjust your cast for the softer 2wt.
Wood river beat me to it. Is this happening on more than one rod? Post a video of your cast or just make one and watch it yourself. More than likely you or us can tell pretty fast what's going on. This will tell you what you need to correct.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Probably the what you guys said about mismatched tippet. Was using 5x with a size 10 foam beetle.