The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ever get one of those knots..... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/317609-ever-get-one-those-knots.html)

nick k 04-25-2013 10:24 AM

Ever get one of those knots.....

.....that makes you want to quit fly fishing and just go conventional?

I had about 6 of those yesterday; the really weird ones where you make one cast and the fly somehow manages to wrap itself around the leader 12 times and end up by the fly line loop.

Sometimes I wonder if the knots I get are even possible on their own, and think the fish are somehow playing tricks on me and tangling up my line under water.

Sometimes, these knots just make you want to quit.

norcoflyfisher 04-25-2013 10:31 AM

Re: Ever get one of those knots.....

And then your spinning reel will get tangled, or god forbid your baitcaster backlashes and in a frustrated fit of rage you smash the cheap rod on the ground until the tip breaks, and then you'll want to go back to fly fishing :D It's a vicious cycle, really.

nick k 04-25-2013 10:40 AM

That's true. I used to get really annoyed by those spinning real knots where a loop of line would just be sticking out under 100ft of mono.

Knots, man....knots....

silver creek 04-25-2013 11:26 AM

Were you nymphing when the knots formed? It happens more often when using a strike indicator and multiple flies.

nick k 04-25-2013 11:39 AM

No, not nymphing, just while casting.

stl_geoff 04-25-2013 11:46 AM

Get a birdsnest in a baitcaster. Havent touched mine since the last time it did that...probably looking at 7-8 years ago now. It has grown a thick layer of dust.

Hardyreels 04-25-2013 12:43 PM

Hi Nick,

Rather than trying to diagnose the fine points of your problem I'll say this, too much false casting.

Questions: How long is the leader? How fine the tippet & how long? Wind blowing? Dry fly with large wings? Distance you are casting? Last but not least; how many false casts between when you pick up the fly and when you put it down?

It's been a long while since I had a tangle. I keep false casting to a minimum and always straiten my leaders prior to fishing. Even the leaders on my Spey rigs are straitened before I cast.

Ard

nick k 04-25-2013 01:00 PM

Ard:

Thanks for trying to diagnose it for me. I don't believe it actually has much to do with my false casting because it always seems to happen on the release. I never experienced it much on my 6wt but it happened a fair amount of times yesterday on my new 2wt. I just think it has to do with my leader/tippet lengths or something like that.

nickj 04-25-2013 05:11 PM

I only get those when I'm in the middle of a bunch of actively feeding fish, my hands are freezing, my fingers are numb, and they're not taking anything larger than #24. Guaranteed. Seriously..I almost always fish dry/dropper; when I miss a strike and I know the flies are going to end up in the tree(s) behind me, so try to pull everything back quickly..... Just cut it loose and move on. Or there's what I call the lazy cast...same result.

woodrivertroutbum 04-25-2013 05:15 PM

Most likely caused by tailing loops. Watch some casting videos and see if you can figure out what you are doing wrong.

It may just be that you are used to the faster 6wt and forget to adjust your cast for the softer 2wt.