The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 AM

wichaka is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many flies?

I pack one double sided box that's about 5 x 4 inches, and have 3-4 of each fly in sizes 14 & 16. Except for the buggers and hopper, those are in 8, 10 & 12's.

I'm just like what yonder posted...I like to keep it simple. I may not catch all of the fish, but I catch enough to enjoy the day.

I live in the west, in the cascade mts., so your list may differ. Here's the list of flies I always seem to use without fail;

Dries –
Adams
Adams Parachute
BWO Hairwing Dun
Elk Hair Caddis
Griffith’s Gnat
PMD Sparkle Dun
Royal Wulff
Stimulator

Nymphs -
Beadhead Olive
Fox Squirrel
Gold Rib Hare’s Ear
Pheasant Tail
Scud Olive
Woolly Bugger – Olive & Black

Wet / Soft Hackle -
Flymph – March Brown
Partridge & Yellow

Misc. –
Hopper
Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

This + extra 9' 6X leader + 6X tippet spool + 7'6" #3 + a stream / small river = my idea of a good time. Spent the bulk of many seasons with not much else.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
Flies are like women...ya cant have to many.....

I prefer mine in smaller sizes...

Just sayin...
So, what you're saying is you like your women in the size 18-24 range?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:06 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

How many patters do I typically use? About 5

How many patterns do I tie and have at any one time? 30+

I just like to see what I can make. Plus tying is fun.
yonder likes this.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 PM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

Throughout the year I could probably successfully fish with 10-15 different flies.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:12 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I carry a lot of boxes in my vest and it all depends on where I am, what is in or on the water and what I believe will work on any given day...some of them are here...I rarely go minimalist...

Members Fly Boxes

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 AM

logdog is on a distinguished road

I do 80% of my fishing with some variation of a hares ear or pheasant tail and usually have a few of these on my drying patch, but do I still carry and absolutely ridiculous amount of flies? You bet I do because there is nothing worse than knowing what you need, not having it with you, and just to pour salt on it know you have a box with 20 of them in it at home. aaargh.

chris
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post

So my question to you guys out there is how many flies do you really use. I love looking at my fly boxes all full of great little flies but I think I have to narrow it down (some).

Craig
I carry five (5) boxes all the time; a large one with all streamers that stays in my back pocket (next to my victory cigar) as I don't fish them all that often. I carry a midge box, one side is various patterns/colors of midges and the other side mostly Baetis patterns. I carry a nymph box with all of my "go to" patterns on one side, and some miscellaneous and stillwater patterns on the other side. Then I've got a medium sized box with all soft hackles (my favorite) on one side and Comparaduns on the other. And finally one compartment type box with various hackled dry flies in the bins and spent-wing spinners on the top.

I carry very few terrestrial patterns (maybe a handful of hoppers).

As to how many I fish? Probably a dozen and a half "core" patterns, but I would guess 3 to 4 times that many see serious action throughout the season depending on the conditions. For example, I've been fortunate enough to hit some incredible Baetis hatches over the past month or so and I regularly use four (4) patterns just to cover the various stages that the trout are taking; simple BHPT, Baetis soft hackle, olive Comparadun, and Barr's Emerger... all size 18.

I expect more of the same once the PMD's get going and caddisfly activity really opens things up even further.

A lot depends on what types of waters are available to you and how diverse the insect populations are.

Like anything else (life for example), fly-fishing can be as complicated or as simple as you care to make it.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi Craig,

Re: “So my question to you guys out there is how many flies do you really use.”

This list could probably use a little trimming down, but I’d be comfortable facing most conditions during a full years cycle, with these numbers. With some of our local fisheries, my selection is quite boring, almost mechanical. Over the past few years, I’ve been going out of my way to break out of the mechanical aspect of my angling, by re-introducing patterns that have fallen by the wayside.

Landlocked Stripers: 6
Saltwater Stripers: 6
Surfperch: 4 ( probably could start and finish most days with 1 )
California Halibut: 3 ( probably could start and finish most days with 1 )
General Saltwater Pacific Coast: 6
Steelhead within 200 miles: 6
Saltwater outside of a 200 mile radius: expansive selection.
Trout Lakes within 200 miles: 12
Subcategory - Pyramid Lake, NV Lahontan Cutthroat: 6
Trout Rivers, Streams: within 200 miles: 12
Trout beyond 200 mile radius: expansive selection.
Landlocked Salmon and Kokanee: 6 ( probably could start and finish most days with 1 to 2 )
American Shad: 6
Black Bass: 6 ( probably could start and finish most days with 1 )

TT
shimloom likes this.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Extra fly patterns are like condoms. I'd rather have one and not need it, then need it and not have one.
stenacron likes this.