The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default How many flies?

I just got a "newer" vise the other day and started tying again, and I really enjoy it. Then I started thinking (start of problem) and looked at all my fly boxes stacked up. I'm a dry fly guy at heart and so I opened my dry boxes and really started looking at all these flies and realized that I fish, mabye, 3 or 4 patterns in 3 sizes.

Now I have wet flies that I have just started into, nymphs (I hate) and streamers. So my question to you guys out there is how many flies do you really use. I love looking at my fly boxes all full of great little flies but I think I have to narrow it down (some).

Craig
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many flies?

Great question Craig.

I have no clue how many boxes of flies I have in the Jeep, but if I had to make an (uneducated) guess 5 or 6 of a given pattern. Some larger, some a tad smaller .. the rest was just 'Mind Candy' to kill time.

fae
mcnerney and parsond like this.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Salmon = about 6 different patterns regularly
Trout = a decent mix but seldom more than 8 or 9 different ties, all streamers and Spey styles
Grayling = only about 4 and one of them is a trout regular
The char take the same things that catch trout so..........

All together I fish with maybe 12 - 14 different patterns all of which are wet flies. I believe I've tied at least 100 different patterns over the years. I had the same problem with dry flies, I tied them all but only used a few. This would explain why I can show you a fly and say 'circa 1980', I have plenty that never got wet

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you've got the classic Paul Maclean fly problem here. Ive experienced that unless the fish are keying in on the number of tail hairs on my fly, the good ol' generals are just fine.

For what it's worth: keep on nymphing. If the idea of bobber chasing is off-putting, think soft hackle or get really into the bug science. It gets exciting.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I am another dry fly guy at heart. I have quite a few different patterns in different sizes that never see the water. Day in and day out, I find myself using an adams wulff or royal wulff pattern the most, or an occasional elk hair caddis. My sizes range from 14 to 18, and using a 16 the most. I like to keep it simple. I may not catch all of the fish, but I catch enough to enjoy the day.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by long bow View Post
Sounds like you've got the classic Paul Maclean fly problem here...
Love the RRTI reference.

Hey Shim,
The reality is that you really don't need to know a lot of patterns. You can modify core flies to make a different bug.

Example: Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
  1. Black, olive, or purple Hare's Ear in size 16 to 20 makes a good Blue Wing Olive pattern.
  2. Black size 12 makes a good March Brown nymph.
  3. Light yellow size 16 makes a good sulphur nymph.
  4. Light yellow size 10 or 12 3x long hook makes a good yellow sallie stonefly.
  5. Size 6 to 10 in various colors makes good stonefly nymphs.
  6. Tying a Hare's Ear on a scud hook makes for a good caddis imitation.

I won't go into the details. But every caddis nymph that I tie is some sort of variation of the Bird's Nest.

For mayfly dry flies, you can choose a basic body style, change hook size, body color, and hackle color. You will result with various mayfly patterns.

Dennis
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Flies are like women...ya cant have to many.....

I prefer mine in smaller sizes...

Just sayin...
bigjim5589, mcnerney and kicker19 like this.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem I have found is how much all those tiny little flies and boxes weigh when you load up the vest. Maybe it is old age and the shoulders are getting weak. I think for me and a lot of my friends fly tying is almost like therapy, especially during the long winter months. Therapy that proves beneficial later during the fishing season. That's a good thing.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I have more flies than I will probably use during the rest of my life. That is why I keep tying. So I can live longer to use up my flies.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
I have more flies than I will probably use during the rest of my life. That is why I keep tying. So I can live longer to use up my flies.
Ditz: Exactly! You have found the secret to life!

Bone: That is why I gave up on fly fishing vests years ago, mine just got too darned heavy. I bought an Orvis sling pack and due to the limited room it forces me to make careful choices. Now Orvis has the larger Guide Sling Pack, so far I have resisted the urge to purchase, as I know what will happen, I'll be right back in the same boat carrying way too much gear.