The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road
Default nice camera for fishing?

it is really irritable experience to do some fishing without camera. so many amazing sights, but i couldn't take a decent shot. in badly need of a nice camera for fishing. what do u think about this Sony Alpha DSLR-A330L 10.2 MP DSLR Digital Camera ?? looks great. kinda love it. but i am not sure it is that good. still, is it a good buy or not??
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: nice camera for fishing?

Make sure it's waterproof.

I dropped my Canon A610 in a creek a couple weeks ago and now I'm stuck with my old Kodak 2 megapixel dinosaur till I can afford a new one.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flores81,

Sony makes some good DSLR cameras and you probably would be satisfied with the picture quality. The problem with DSLRs is they are heavy and bulky. It would be a choir to carry one on a stream. The digital compact cameras would by a much better choice for taking fishing pictures. There are some waterproof ones available and they also take good pictures. If it was me I would not consider a DSLR as a stream side camera.
Frank
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi flores81,

Sony makes some good DSLR cameras and you probably would be satisfied with the picture quality. The problem with DSLRs is they are heavy and bulky. It would be a choir to carry one on a stream. The digital compact cameras would by a much better choice for taking fishing pictures. There are some waterproof ones available and they also take good pictures. If it was me I would not consider a DSLR as a stream side camera.
Frank
Frank's right. A DSLR is too much to handle on the stream, assuming you wish to fish as well. A digital compact is the way to go. Pocket size for easy and quick access and one hand operation. Waterproof is a MUST and some degree of durability is equally as important.

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 and love it. May be a bit pricey and there are probably cheaper alternatives, but the Olympus is bombproof and gives me a degree of creative control that many compacts don't. It's a good pattern to work from.

Good luck.

Sep

Last edited by Sep; 07-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped my old Canon digital in the stream while fishing on the Green River about a month ago and ended up buying a Pentax Optio W90 waterproof camera, mainly for the compactness, waterproof and macro capabilites. I'm very satisfied with it, but there are a lot of really nice digital cameras on the market these days. Clint (cromney uses a DSLR while fishing and he takes some amazing photos with it, but like others have said it is kind of bulky. There was a thread on waterproof digital cameras awhile back you might be interested in reading: waterproof digital camera

Larry
Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my son a Pentax Optio WS80 for Christmas and he has been extremely pleased with the quality of the pics. This is a fully waterproof point-and-shoot, but the images are stunning and can be taken underwater. here are some samples:

Click the image to open in full size.

The best place to look for deals on this camera is Amazon.com Good luck in your search.

Kelly.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I will join the 'Don't get a DSLR for casual carry' group. If you fish from a boat maybe but if you wade go small and waterproof.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 PM

mnshutterbug is on a distinguished road

I have 2 DSLR's and wouldn't dream of taking them on the river while fishing. There are too many things to have to be concerned with and too many slippery rocks to watch for. I've taken either one or the other but never both.

The images from that Pentax Optio are very impressive.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

thanks for all your inputs
Old 07-28-2010, 04:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Another good camera that can be dropped (from a reasonable height with no adverse effects - field tested by me! ) and that can be used to shoot underwater, is the Olympus Stylus 850SW. Both Marty and I carry one; fits in your pocket, light weight and takes great pics.

And, it won't set you back the price of a good rod.

Pocono