The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 AM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough
Default Buddy and i just got a neused Creek Company ODC 1220

We just went and got a new/used CC ODC 1220 for $700. Were not entirely new to floating as we have both worked for a fly shop for a number of years and have been known to tag along with the float guides on their days off. This question goes to any floaters out there. What are some essentials and amenities you have found useful or necessary for your boat. Besides the standards.... PFDs, patch kit, throw bag, spare oar, dry bag with spare clothing, first aid kit, sun screen. We're sure were going to be 1/2 mile into the float and have epiphanies about things we wish we had, were trying to solve these problems before we have them. What are your must haves for the river for short and long floats? Any good sites out there that may provide further information? Things that you wished you had but didn't? If there are any fellow CC owners out there what does your rig look like and how have you fine tuned it for the most success? Thanks in advance!!!! Were planning the maiden voyage on Monday. Ill post some pics when i get some!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Buddy and i just got a neused Creek Company ODC 1220

Carry some fire starter sticks and a good knife, if the raft is large enough a couple small folding camp chairs make it nice when you rest on shore.

If the raft has oar locks, then have a spare oar lock. Even if the oar locks are made of a composite; one of those little bottles of WD-40 in a bag is a good thing. 2 years ago I had a right side oar start to squeak in the cradle where the oar rests in the lock. I mean squeak loudly! Listening to that for 60 miles was all it took, now I carry some lube. It will take time and use before this could pop up for you but when it does................it's very annoying.

Ard

I cured my squeak with some Mucilin line dressing, rubbed a dab into the cradle with a finger and it quieted it down. Otherwise it sounds like you have everything lined out.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buddy and i just got a neused Creek Company ODC 1220

Congrats on the new boat, looking forward to seeing the photos. You didn't mention an anchor, a bailing bucket can come in handy, extra rod storage is also nice and a dry bag for extra clothes, etc. Also some sort of waterproof bag for fly boxes, spare reels. A small cooler for lunches and water.