The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gartside's Soft Hackle Streamer ???

Sorry...
I highly disagree with using weight tied into the nose of a Gartside softhackle
That would kill the "action" that is most important to this fly
If you drop one of these flies into water at your feet you'll see the fly pulsating or undulating in the current.
With weight at it's nose, that would hardly make it more than a Clouser clone.
I can assure you that the Gartside softhackle is more than that,
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Gartside's Soft Hackle Streamer ???

I hear you Rip, but honestly a clouser that sinks with too much weight at the tip is a jig right?....though I wouldn't say it's an "incorrect" clouser since the jigging might catch fish for people who fish it that way.

Most flies are *******ized versions of other flies anyway -- I think it's okay to call them whatever they most closely resemble.

My most productive "woolly bugger" is really just a marabou tail, ice dub/olive dub blended body, several rubber legs, and a tung head. No hackle whatsoever because I feel that hackle, even when reinforced with wire, isn't durable and isn't worth the effort when rubber legs seem to work a hell of a lot better IME (better action for less tying effort).

Is it a woolly bugger? Who knows -- I don't care. I call it that because it looks more like that than anything else.

And if I called it "Turbine's woolly bugger" some smart*** would probably say "hey, that's really just a woolly bugger with rubber legs" .

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.